New to me HD, cranking issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defendant here is a 1999 HD 1200 sportster that has about 16k on it, and has been grounded for about 6 years.
I went through the basics, and drained the oil ( no oil was left in the tank, just sludge and water, I imagine gas or whats left of it), washed the air filter, drained the gas ( my beretta really hates life right now with the stuff mixed into the gas tank
grin.gif
). After soaking the top of the cyls for a few days with ATF, I proceeded to crank the engine over w/out spark plugs in. It moved, lethargic imo, but I have no clue how a twin acts as I only have dealt with my Yamaha. Put the plugs back in and click click click..great. Pulled the rear cyl plug and cranked, eventually starting the bike. It holds idle in cyl 1 (front) but dies as soon as I plug the spark plug hole. Can't crank the engine past the compression stroke on cyl 2 even with the plug removed from the cyl 1.
Process of elimination obviously the thing isn't seized, it is NOT THE BATTERY. I was working off a 650cca battery from my jeep, and then tried from the running beretta with identical results. To make the poor thing crank with the 1 plug I had to disconnect front+rear lights, and am using 5w30 oil in it while working with temps
My conclusion so far is that maybe the cyl 1 has a poor compression, and the starter is oxidized and has only enough might to turn past low compression piston, not the other one, and definitely not both. Low compression is likely since the oil was loaded with fuel pretty good, it was nice and smelly in the filter, and the gunk in the tank.
I plan to pull the starter and tear it down to clean it ( if needed) next, right after I do a compression test on cyl 1,and if God willing on cyl 2.

What do the knowledgeable people of BITOG can suggest I do with this thing? I would like to get this thing running and try motorcycles from a cruiser perspective ( the R1 is the only bike I ever rode).

I would attempt to determine if compression is the issue in that cylinder and if deemed so, I would do a ring/piston soak with Berryman B-12 Chemtool to see if the rings will "unstick". ATF has no solvent properties and would not free the rings if they are stuck and after sitting for that long, they are likely stuck in the lands. If the soak does not solve the issue, it may be necessary to pull the cylinder and see what is happening there. Otherwise, the valves should be also checked. I am not familiar with HD, but does it have hydraulic lifters? Any chance one of them is stuck or collapsed?

Just some food for thought...

Did you actually get the ATF back out of the rear cylinder? It is possible that it did not leak past the rings, and you are hydrolocking it, with the plug in. Don't necessarily count on it blowing out......You could actually be pooling it back into the intake manifold.

Or.......Maybe the exhaust valve is not operating on the rear cylinder. Maybe a broken or stuck rocker? Might be worth checking.....

I guess shooting 14.7:1 aerosol air-fuel out a plug hole near the proximity of a high voltage wire whose sole purpose is to ignite such an aerosol is not what I'd do.

Very little atf was used to compensate for the dry top end, used to lube not to clean. Measured amounts were used and the one cyl didnt seem to mind is and fired right up. Valvetrain moves freely, no ckunks or any noises The exhaust valve opens, I visualized it. The pooling into the intake manifold is unlikely since the cylinder is slanted and exhaust port is on the lower side.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spackard
I guess shooting 14.7:1 aerosol air-fuel out a plug hole near the proximity of a high voltage wire whose sole purpose is to ignite such an aerosol is not what I'd do.

As a 2nd grader I used to raid chem labs and do things that I can't reproduce using a tiny carb and a little gasoline. I'm not worried.

Get it running on the front cylinder and at least a little warmed up. Then push it down a hill and kick it up into 4th gear and stay on it. It'll blow its problems out.
laugh.gif

Be ready for the rear tire to skid, I figure you know how to ride and how to recover. The first couple tries might be a good thing, then you'll want to put some more weight over the rear to get more kicking-over traction.

This from my getting a Virago back from the dead, and its notoriously finicky starter system.

I would take it to a Harley dealer. I know, not a good idea, but someone needs to inspect the heads, gaskets, and so on,,imho. I have a 96 ,1200 sportster, never a problem, but has not sat for 6 years, that is to long.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I would take it to a Harley dealer. I know, not a good idea, but someone needs to inspect the heads, gaskets, and so on,,imho.

A trip to the Hardley dealer for a thorough going over would likely cost far more than the bike is worth. Besides......Where is the fun in that?

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I would take it to a Harley dealer.

That's the last option I would recommend.
Harley engines are about as simple as they come, I'm sure you will get it figured out soon.

while your at this point. replace the battery cables to cancel out that problem.

a bike shop i worked for used pb blast with a modified spout (turned around in the cylinder to lube the entire wall,rings ect) and let it sit for a while...

i have an 82 ironhead im redoing. both scraper rings were collapsed and the valve guide gave out in the rear cylinder.

Try removing the spark plugs and try the to see if the engine turns over. Why has it sat for 6 years?

Amy HD that fires on front cylinder but not the other, I would check timing. You don't know who / what has been done to the bike by a previous owner.

Last edited:
Bike runs on the front cylinder as long as rear plugs is removed. Was dealer serviced always. It was ridden and parked a running bike. Issues of a private matter made this ride undesirable. Still a running, just a 1-banger atm. I'll sell it for a profit as is rather than taking it to any dealer. I'm going to look into the wires as I still blame the starter side of things. Will be doing compression test just to rule out any other things now or in the future.

Check the cables and make sure they are good and so is the ground. As for a cylinder soak, I always say to use ATF and cut it 50 percent with acetone. Works just as good as kroil.

Storing a bike for 6 years is not bad, if you must have it stored right. I am betting there are connection problems due to corrosion from moisture if it was stored in a non climate controlled building. Condensation can cause many wiring headaches.

Last edited:
Starter positive was corroded pretty good, I am sure the rest of the connections look the same. Anyway, while starting, gave it a helping hand and put a direct connection with a jumper to the battery. Fired right up. Will go get a new battery, a napa 1515 filter and hit the road
smile.gif

Thanks guys. Compression is definitely low on the front cyl, blowing some blue ( I think). Will post test rsult when I do it.

So after going to the store and buying some cola, soaked and cleaned the terminals on starter and solenoid. Wend and bought an exide agm battery, charged it. The big boy fired up like a champ. Got on it throttled it down the street and all is well. Guess it was ethanol free gas in it for all those years because I did nothing to the carb. And for the Harley dunflops, wow they handle well ( for a stubborn pig), even with 2 psi in em. Roared to the gas station, gas, air and back and everything is perfect. Thanks for all the help guys. The seating position is awesome, but boy is it gutless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back