Gasoline Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in CNY & NNY many stations have E0 gas. Its always the top grade, maybe because a lot of small engines used here, boats, ATV, sleds etc are big here.

Ethanol is a cheap way to boost octane so don't think you will see any less in 91/93 octane pump gas if it contains Ethanol?

Here 87, 89, & 93 octane contain Ethanol.

Have been retired for several years and travel a lot. Noticed that in Wisconsin 87 and 87 octane contains Ethanol but 91/93 octane does not but it does have a premium price too.

Some states have no requirement to mark the pumps when the fuel contains Ethanol.

In my area, Valero has 10% ethanol in their regular, 5% in their plus, and 0% in their Super. Printed right on the pumps. Good luck getting non-ethanol locally other than Valero. I put the non-ethanol gas in my quad, lawn mowers, generator, snow blower and weed eaters.

Last edited:
There's no one answer. However, the majority of 91 or higher octane rated gasoline probably contains ethanol these days. It's an extremely effective octane booster. It's certainly possible to make 91 octane without ethanol, but with ethanol it's possible to make more.

I understand that the ethanol is typically blended in at the loading rack. Current pipeline materials allegedly can't handle ethanol. Most gasoline is formulated to blend with 10% ethanol to arrive at the pump rating. There was a time when they'd just take 91 octane and then blend it with ethanol, which created a higher octane rating than on the pump.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think in California all grades have 10% ethanol. No station posts any sticker on the pump about ethanol contain any more.

That's correct, they don't label it. California is one of several states that does not require the pump to be labeled as to the ethanol content.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
has anyone bought quick test kits like this one?

http://fueltestkit.com/

or can they recommend another....

I have one of those. It works well enough to give a ballpark percentage of ethanol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think in California all grades have 10% ethanol. No station posts any sticker on the pump about ethanol contain any more.

That's correct, they don't label it. California is one of several states that does not require the pump to be labeled as to the ethanol content.

It's still pretty common in California to see a pump with a sticker saying something like "Contains 10% ethanol" or "Contains up to 10% ethanol". I remember similar stickers when there was MTBE content in most California gasoline.

pump2.jpg

has anyone bought quick test kits like this one?

http://fueltestkit.com/

or can they recommend another....

Well I can make a recommendation. If you want a kit to test the exact percentage of ethanol in fuel, ignore this post. But if you simply want to know if there is ANY ethanol in a given fuel, do what I did, make your own tester. I took a clear plastic (gasoline safe) container, shaped sort of like a large pill bottle, and drew a line with a permanent marker around it (near the bottom, 1/4 of the way up the container, doesn't need to be exact). That's it.

To test, fill the container up to the line with water. Then add some fuel, seal, and shake. Wait about 30 seconds for it to settle. The water will fall back to the bottom. If the water level has risen above the line you drew, there is ethanol present (and has been mixed with the water). If you want to spend the time and do some math, you actually could make your "kit" to show percentages by making multiple marks. But I didn't.

Far from scientific, but it works, and was free!

moondawg:

to reiterate some of the responses, it is difficult these day's to know whether you have ethanol.
my reasoning is how the renewable fuel standards was implemented by the government. the government only set or sets a standard of amount of renewable fuel that has to be met and then let or lets the individual states decide how they will meet it.

consequently every state can be different as to how they wrote their own renewable fuel act. for example attached is a link to my own states act in missouri: http://agriculture.mo.gov/weights/fuel/renewablefuelstandard.php

yesthatsteve mentioned it, and i would add that based on the literature, in my state all gas must have 10% ethanol blended except for the exemptions listed. however and in particular related to the pump sale of 91 or higher octane fuel, if you read further in literate and I quote it here

"Missouri does not require ethanol labeling on gasoline dispensers. Therefore, if a consumer has a specific application that requires a fuel without ethanol, the consumer must purchase premium unleaded gasoline with an octane of 91 or higher that is also advertised as not containing ethanol"

My point for emphasis, is that just because the pump says 91 octane(or higher) in Missouri, does not alone guarantee that you are getting e0. There is further literature in the MO RF Act that says that this exemption of 91 octane e0 is left up to the individual station, therefore the advertising requirement in the above quotes.

I tried to find the Texas RFS act, but was unable in finding this on the www. Perhaps someone else may have a link. Reading up on your own states RFS or act is one way to get an idea on what your state is doing with regard to meeting the Federal RFS, but it is in no way a guarantee of whether you will get e0 gasoline because as I have said before this RFS has become a bit of a convoluted mess in my opinion. There are many threads on this forum with many discussions related to the subject. I encourage you to search and read up on the discussions.

When traveling across country as I often do, i simply add chemicals that i believe may help with the ethanol and water issue, and the discussions on whether these help or not, still leave me on the fence as to whether I am really helping or not, but i add them any way.

My post on the ethanol testing kit was really intended to make light of the issue, as I always post that these days, it is extremely difficult to know whether or not you are getting ethanol or not.

Last edited:
Right. The RFS only specifies the amount of ethanol use in the U.S. per year. It does not mandate it be in all gasoline. The total amount can be used as E10, E15, E20, E30, or E85. Even if it was only used in an E10 blend form, there isn't enough total ethanol sold in the U.S. to blend into every gallon of gas. States and localities decide what fuel will have ethanol, whether ethanol free fuel is also available, etc.

In Iowa, I can get all the ethanol blends from E10 - E85, and I can also get both regular and premium in ethanol free form. All of these fuels readily available, any day, year round, within a 20 mile radius of my house. I have been using E15 for a while, as it offers the best value per mile for me right now. I change what I use as prices fluctuate. The perk of having a flex fuel ride. Just fuel. Nothing special added because of ethanol. A couple of bottles of Techron a couple of times a year is all.

When traveling across country as I often do, i simply add chemicals that i believe may help with the ethanol and water issue, and the discussions on whether these help or not, still leave me on the fence as to whether I am really helping or not, but i add them any way.

My post on the ethanol testing kit was really intended to make light of the issue, as I always post that these days, it is extremely difficult to know whether or not you are getting ethanol or not.

I have a hard time getting worked up about ethanol in gas, and it's not because I am an advocate. In fact I'm not. Yet I just don't seen the problem, we live in an EPA non-attainment area and as a result RFG is mandated in this area. It has been for a very long time, so in all four of my old cars plus my OPE I have always used RFG due to no reasonable way not to do so.

And despite all that everything runs fine including my old cars, my old string trimmer and my 23-year old lawnmower. What possible benefit do you get with all this testing and adding of chemicals? I just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back