Oil pressure issue or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2003 Yukon 6.0 with 220k miles. 5w30 mobile 5000 fresh oil. when I cold start in the morning I get 35psi idle and goes down to 30psi depending on rmps. when warmed up I get 35psi idle and pressure goes up with rpms...40psi at 1500rpm and 50psi at 2200rpm.

my question is that what could cause my pressure fall some when cold? I would think it would be highest when cold?

Thanks, Dwayne

Higher pressure when cold is because of thicker oil. Whe it hears up and thins it flows better so you see less pressure on the gauge

I get the opposite. lower with cold oil and higher with hot oil. just want to nip anything in the bud with high miles.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Sounds fine to me.

Absurd response.

Dwayne - These trucks are known to suffer from stepper motors maladies, but my first step would be to replace the actual sending unit. This is on the back of the engine (closest to the firewall/passenger compartment), located on top -- bit difficult to get to without removing other items, but certainly doable. On the plus side, it's inexpensive and on the shelf of your local parts store.

Good luck.

should have mentioned that I have changed all the stepper motors about 5000mi ago and a leaking oil sending unit about 3000mi ago. don't have a mechanical pressure gauge yet to test/verify but dash gauge response seems to be correct maybe not 100% on value but close.

Sounds like a worn engine which it is. Still plenty of pressure to go another 100k miles.

Why worry. The OCD's will be recommending you pull the engine in a few more posts.

I'm going to assume that the oil pressure is fine and the electrical are changing resistance with temps. Also assuming the guage is correct 50 psi@ 2200 rpm is great

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
It could be gauge. The gauge clusters are a known problem.
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
It could be gauge. The gauge clusters are a known problem.
--+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back