5w20 but how does that protect in summer months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my girlfriends 13 malibu 2.5L DI engine did NOT like the recommended 5-20 oil. dropped OE oil at 1,000 replaced with dexos spec 5-20, by 5,000 having added 3 qts i switched her to a group III 10-30 + have not needed oil since. changed @ 12000 no additional oil in between, put same 10-30 back in of course. the recommendations for 20 wt oils is all about that 1/4 mpg for the EPA, not engine life, also concerned with valve deposits connected with DI engines. using oil its gotta go somewhere !!!!!

I think you'll find generally that to meet the specs on a modern 5W-20, a significant proportion of synthetic or near-synthetic components must be used. While on a 5W-30, manufacturers can deliver a relative 'chemical soup' of additives, viscosity improvers, etc., while using relatively low quality base stocks and meet spec that way. I have yet to see a 0W-20, a 0W-30, or a 0W-40 that was not a full synthetic -- so in many cases, when you buy these oils, you're getting base-stocks that outperform on both ends of the temperature spectrum due to a much higher viscosity index and relatively little reliance on additive chemistry to meet viscosity requirements.

The 'failure' of 5W-20 in the market 40-50 years ago very likely was due to the fact that the base stocks just couldn't stand up to the punishment. But as a cigarette maker once claimed, "we've come a long way, baby".

As far as DI engines go, the key I believe is to use an oil with the least amount of volatility as possible (usually this means a quality synthetic), *and* don't overly change it. Why not? Because volatility in virgin motor oil is at its worst for the first hours of it being used in a hot engine.

VW's come from the factory with 5W40 in the crankcase. VW claims to have the most cars on the road with over 100K. Toyota makes more vehicles than VW but doesn't make such a claim. Toyota specs a thinner oil than VW. What does that tell you?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
VW's come from the factory with 5W40 in the crankcase. VW claims to have the most cars on the road with over 100K. Toyota makes more vehicles than VW but doesn't make such a claim. Toyota specs a thinner oil than VW. What does that tell you?

Not a darn thing I can tell from that.

My opinion: don't trust always the manufacturer. Not in US with CAFE imposing their politics.
My experience is with my Explorer with 302 (5.0L) V8.
Engine was introduced originally in 1969. It was designed around 20W40 oils. By the time the Explorer was build, it was already "recommended" to use 5W30 in that engine.
In 2000 and 2001 suddenly Ford decided to recommend 5W20 in that engine.
The first owner of my Explorer trusted that oil cap numbers and run 5W20 in it. Well, when I bought it at 86K miles had developed low oil pressure issues.
On forums I never found an older 5.0L V8 to have issues with oil pressure, like mine, even at more than 200K miles. Only on vehicles fitted with the two years that 5W20 was factory fill. Now I am at 150K with 20W50 oil... with 40 I have still low oil pressure (less than 5psi) at idle.

Now I got another used Ford vehicle - a Taurus with Duratec engine (DOHC). Is a 2001 vehicle with the oil cap saying 5W20. Well I had owned before a Taurus with the same exact engine but from 1996 - that was the first year for those engines. Oil cap and manual - 5W30!!! Ford changed that recommendation in 2000. I will change the oil to 5W30 ASAP.

Ford also retro-recommend 5w20 in all the previous engines with the TSB 02-1-9 in 2002 for cars manufactured all the way back to 1991. Really just to "please" CAFE. And if some owners will need new cars faster than originally expected... even better!

In both those cases no redesign of the engine was done to accommodate the lighter weight oil. And yes, it "worked" well during warranty period. But Ford doesn't give 100K 10 years warranty like Hyundai (or Kia).

Speaking of Hyundai, I own one from 2000 that had 100K miles warranty. DOHC engine, similar with Ford's Duratec. What oil they recommend? 5W30 and even 10W40 in summer!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back