PCMO vs HDEO for Small Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any reason to choose the likes of a Rotella or Delo over another oil for a lawn mower, generator, or other small engine?

I have a jug of T6 but for quite a bit less can pick up Walmart brand synthetic. The pricing isn't so much the issue - I want to use what is most beneficial/effective

Just wondering if there is a clear advantage in using an HDEO.

Its a case by case thing. From what I've read here, generators need something a bit more stout than a PCMO. A mower or other small engine on the other hand isn't as picky, but I understand wanting the additional protection.

Above all, keep everything topped off.

T6 is good stuff, but I'd personally pick Walmarts brand of 15w40 before I would their synthetic. It's cheaper and a bit more stout for air cooled stuff.

Good point about the air filtration... Hadn't considered that aspect.

I, too, believe the Rotella would be a great choice but my question is really is it better than a PCMO?

Better being a relative term.

The limited air filtration alone could be the answer to my question

I ask because I have a few posts about an older Snapper mower and I want to do whatever I can to keep that running its absolute best.

Got to thinking about the oil in the snapper (Walmart conventional 5w-30) I wanted to use up and, in conjunction with this and the likes of your thread and others, I just got to wondering if there was any strong, valid reason why one should be chosen over the other

Either will work. But will the HDEO work better?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
. T6 is good stuff, but I'd personally pick Walmarts brand of 15w40 before I would their synthetic. It's cheaper and a bit more stout for air cooled stuff.

Is the Walmart 15w-40 HDEO or you're choosing this based on the 40w over a synthetic 30w because of the hths?

HDEO has a better additive pack and more anti wear additives so will likely wear less over the long haul. Meaning it might run without smoking for 1000 hours while regular PCMO will run without smoking for 998 hours. Mower won't really know the difference.

So from a feel-good perspective, makes all the difference.

Real-world, negligible difference

Save a few bucks to spend on air filters and go with Walmart synthetic 10w-30 or 40W

That's the way I'm reading this

Of course this is all speculation. If you ask enough people, you will get the answer you want, either way.

I noticed that companies that market their own oil label, such as Kohler and Exmark, are selling HDEO.

Their marketing scheme works for me! Yes,it's a feel good thing because I cannot prove it one way or another.

Most small engines use enough oil that it doesn't really mater what you put in it as you are always refreshing the additives from time to time anyways. The biggest thing to worry about is keeping it topped off and changed every once in a while.

I would think the higher detergent would be an advantage. I'm not sure the extra zinc is necessary in a low spring pressure engine.
Having said that i'm running amsoil hdd or sometimes the amsoil motorcycle 10w 40 in my zero turn.

I have been running HDEO 15W-40 in a B&S Intek in a riding mower for the past 8 years. I feel that heat and loads are the biggest enemy to this engine, as it has a oil filter on it. IMO if a diesel engine can't beat the life out of this oil, no OPE engine can. Since the cost difference is so small, I go this route.

I have been running HDEO 15W-40 in a B&S Intek in a riding mower for the past 8 years. I feel that heat and loads are the biggest enemy to this engine, as it has a oil filter on it. IMO if a diesel engine can't beat the life out of this oil, no OPE engine can. Since the cost difference is so small, I go this route.

Just use a synthetic PCMO. OPE isn't that hard on oil. They don't run that high rpm like cars do. That is what I always use. I know OPE is air cooled and cars are liquid cooled but i don't think that they are that hard on oil IMO.

Originally Posted By: LX289
Just use a synthetic PCMO. OPE isn't that hard on oil. They don't run that high rpm like cars do. That is what I always use. I know OPE is air cooled and cars are liquid cooled but i don't think that they are that hard on oil IMO.

Right
Cause the air filtration is so stellar on OPE not to mention they run at full throttle or idle.
You're incorrect. OPE is the worst duty cycle of all. The oil gets contaminated very quickly because of poor intake air filtration and oil temps get very high. Couple that with very small sumps and you'll understand why my stuff gets changed every 100 hours.

From personal experience, HDEO is better. Your results may vary though. I've found that HDEO is less likely to shear and burn off, especially in an older worn out engine or one that sees lots of consistent use like a generator.

Sure PCMO is cheaper and the engine may wear the same, but I know for a fact the average PCMO 10w30 will burn off much quicker than a HDEO 15w40 or 5w40.

My grandfather's Scag zero turn has a 22hp Kohler engine in it. With PCMO 10w30 he has to add some after mowing a few times. With Rotella T 15w40, he has to add much less, and less frequently. I fix small engines as a side business and use HDEO in all the engines I service, since most of my customers aren't very good about checking the oil.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Right
Cause the air filtration is so stellar on OPE not to mention they run at full throttle or idle.
You're incorrect. OPE is the worst duty cycle of all. The oil gets contaminated very quickly because of poor intake air filtration and oil temps get very high. Couple that with very small sumps and you'll understand why my stuff gets changed every 100 hours.

Correct Clevy.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Right

Correct Clevy.
thumbsup2.gif

I guess I have used PCMO and never had any problems with oil burn off or engine failure. I only have 4 pieces of OPE a gas trimmer and blower which are 2 cycle and a LX289 lawnmower and a JX75. I use 5w-30 in the LX289 and the JX75 gets Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
From personal experience, HDEO is better. Your results may vary though. I've found that HDEO is less likely to shear and burn off, especially in an older worn out engine or one that sees lots of consistent use like a generator.

Sure PCMO is cheaper and the engine may wear the same, but I know for a fact the average PCMO 10w30 will burn off much quicker than a HDEO 15w40 or 5w40.

My grandfather's Scag zero turn has a 22hp Kohler engine in it. With PCMO 10w30 he has to add some after mowing a few times. With Rotella T 15w40, he has to add much less, and less frequently. I fix small engines as a side business and use HDEO in all the engines I service, since most of my customers aren't very good about checking the oil.
I use T6 in a DYNA/Winco Briggs L head powered generator, NO oil use I can see and it starts with one pull even around zero.

Originally Posted By: Finz
Is there any reason to choose the likes of a Rotella or Delo over another oil for a lawn mower, generator, or other small engine?

I have a jug of T6 but for quite a bit less can pick up Walmart brand synthetic. The pricing isn't so much the issue - I want to use what is most beneficial/effective

Just wondering if there is a clear advantage in using an HDEO.

Hello Finz, we wouldn’t hesitate recommending our Shell Rotella T Heavy Duty Diesel engine oil product line for your applications. Shell Rotella T Products are formulated with improved soot control and an exclusive detergent system to deliver outstanding piston and engine cleanliness. In addition, the exclusive low-ash formulation helps protect the exhaust catalysts and particulate traps found on some of the latest (low emission) engines. It is also recommended by a wide range of OEMS, and is suitable for both the low-emissions and older model equipment. - The Shell Rotella Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back