Radiator Fan - Replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is a question I can't seem to find an answer to. Perhaps I am way too OCD with my SS
21.gif

My radiator fan IS working properly. Both fans turn on and off when they should. I am NOT having any overheating issues. However, it sounds like both electric fans have bad bearings. I can visually see the condenser side fan has a minor wobble. I was able to find this because of the whine coming from both fans (rather sudden symptom). Obviously now I am watching the temp gauge like a hawk, but my question is this: Should I replace the fan before it leads to further problems or wait until one starts misbehaving? I truly care about this car, and if I have my way I will see 500,000 on the odometer. My budget isn't real tight, but I would much rather put this cash toward a few home repairs. Sorry for the book, but what would you do? Thanks in advance!

Personally I'd pull the fans and assess the situation. If they are sloppy then I'd have a look at replacing the bearings. Failing that, after stripping them and assessing them you can replace the whole fan if necessary.

I'm a bit fussy about maintenance in that I've learned the hard way over the years that a failure never occurs at a convenient time. The result is if I spot an issue that looks like it might snowball then I address it properly as soon as is practical.

Heck I put new bearings in the exhaust fan in the toilet the other day. The new bearings cost as much as a whole new fan, but I know that dependent on the quality of the bearings I just put in, this one will probably last another 40 years and a new one might do 5.

The answer to your question depends on whether you're doing the work yourself or hiring it done. If you're doing the work yourself, I'd recommend changing the fans. If you're hiring the work done and you have a backup vehicle on standby, run the fans until they seize up.

I recently made this repair on the Monte in my signature. It's an easy repair and requires basic mechanical experience. I bought a Depo fan off Amazon for $78, the build quality was very good, better than I anticipated.

If you can see a wobble I'd definitely pull it and inspect. The last thing you want is it hitting part of the assembly and breaking one of the fins.

Originally Posted By: tony1679
I was able to find this because of the whine coming from both fans (rather sudden symptom).

If the bearings are shot there isn't much you can do about it except for replacing the fans. Some of them you could get at the bearings by opening the case most you cannot, GM you cant.

Rock has just the OE fan motors
Quote:
ACDELCO Part # 1580640 {#89018695} GM Original Equipment
Left; REQUIRES BLADE KIT 89018691, USE TOGETHER WITH MATING CONN 12101917

Get the connectors and fan blades from them also they have part numbers listed.

Quote:
ACDELCO Part # PT189 {#12101917} GM Original Equipment
2-WAY FEMALE BLACK

Quote:
ACDELCO Part # 1580591
{#89018691} GM Original Equipment
Left

ACDELCO Part # 1580593
{#89018693} GM Original Equipment
Right

Heh heh. The Bosch fan in the old 528e is very serviceable. A left hand nut holds the fan on. Taking it apart is a minor PITA but once it is out of its frame. I clean it up, make sure the brushes aren't sticking. I lube the bearing and the bushing. A before and after amperage reading tells the tale.

Cooling fan failures are very common on the police model Impalas. We always keep them in stock at work since our local SO has a mostly Impala fleet. Many are able to get by with just the motors and blades but YMMV.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess changing it is the right answer, especially with the 100° temps coming soon. I will be changing it myself. Nobody touches my SS unless it's something WAY over my head (so far that's nothing).

So I am looking at the complete fan assemblies. The Dorman 620-974 is pretty tempting for the lifetime warranty. Amazon/Wal-Mart (since when does WM deal with auto parts?) are the cheapest I've seen at $114.21+free shipping. I usually deal with AAP due to price and convenience, but they want $191.99, making it $141.99 after discount. Is there a cheaper price hiding somewhere out there? Or brand alternative (must have lifetime warranty) that's reliable? Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted By: tony1679
Thanks for all the replies. I guess changing it is the right answer, especially with the 100° temps coming soon. I will be changing it myself. Nobody touches my SS unless it's something WAY over my head (so far that's nothing).

So I am looking at the complete fan assemblies. The Dorman 620-974 is pretty tempting for the lifetime warranty. Amazon/Wal-Mart (since when does WM deal with auto parts?) are the cheapest I've seen at $114.21+free shipping. I usually deal with AAP due to price and convenience, but they want $191.99, making it $141.99 after discount. Is there a cheaper price hiding somewhere out there? Or brand alternative (must have lifetime warranty) that's reliable? Thanks for the help!

Have you checked out Rock Auto? I think the Depo I bought from Amazon only had a 1 year warranty, but build quality truly felt top notch.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Have you checked out Rock Auto? I think the Depo I bought from Amazon only had a 1 year warranty, but build quality truly felt top notch.
Yeah the cheapest they had was a TYC for $108, but after shipping was $120. I ended up having AAP price match Amazon/Wal-Mart at $114.21. I had to pay tax, but that will pay for itself the first time (if) it is ever replaced by not having to pay to ship it off. My local store is very laid-back about warranty issues. Perhaps because I buy so darn much from them... Thanks for the help!

if the motor can be mounted upside down, try it. Like unscrew it from the mount, flip it around 180 degrees, screw it back on. I have seen it work in hondas and last a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back