Sonax Polymer Net Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_20150606_170529356_HDR.jpg

Wash with Dawn, polish with Meguire's Ultimate, a coat of Sonax Polymer Net Shield, then a finish layer of Rejex.

Gotta say....I'm totally impressed with the Sonax sealant. Super easy to apply and remove. It comes in a spray can, so I sprayed it on a foam applicator pad and wiped off with MF towel.

The depth of shine this product produces is remarkable.

Last edited:
From what I've read, putting Rejex on top has no benefit. It is designed to bond with paint not another wax or sealant, so it won't stay on as long as designed.

It would also reduce the amount of light the paint is reflecting.

I guess I wanted to know if he used polish or the compound. Meguiars Ultimate denotes quite a few products in the paint maintenance category.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I guess I wanted to know if he used polish or the compound. Meguiars Ultimate denotes quite a few products in the paint maintenance category.

Just the polish. Car could have used a good compounding though. Maybe next time.

I'm curious if others think the top coat of Rejex was a waste....

Originally Posted By: Phishin

It's what Rejex themselves say:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1677397/Re:_RejeX_polymer_sealant#Post1677397

I think 2 layers of anything is a waste, even the same product. The new simply removes the old because of solvents. You end up with whatever the last thing was.

Originally Posted By: Benito

It's what Rejex themselves say:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1677397/Re:_RejeX_polymer_sealant#Post1677397

In this thread, it simply says ReJex will bond to a wax undercoat, but when the wax breaks down, it will obviously take the ReJex top layer with it as well. That's pretty obvious to me, makes total sense.

But I didn't put a wax down first, but I put another sealant (Sonax) onto the clean paint, then put ReJex on top of that.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I think 2 layers of anything is a waste, even the same product. The new simply removes the old because of solvents. You end up with whatever the last thing was.

With back to back coats of wax, yes. But I'm not sure about sealants. Anyone have any data or real experience with layering sealants?

Last edited:
In that same thread I linked to, the inventor said a second coat of Rejex will only increase thickness by 25%.

Your Sonax is designed to last six months. The Rejex on paint would last six months. But how long will it last on Sonax if Rejex is designed to bond to paint not another sealant or wax or whatever?

Originally Posted By: Benito
In that same thread I linked to, the inventor said a second coat of Rejex will only increase thickness by 25%.

Your Sonax is designed to last six months. The Rejex on paint would last six months. But how long will it last on Sonax if Rejex is designed to bond to paint not another sealant or wax or whatever?

I'm not really looking for more questions, just some real life experiences.

Sealant can only form a "mechanical" bond to the paint surface. There is no ionic or covalent bonding going on. However, the sealant itself polymerizes when it cures. Perhaps the ReJex could have cross-linked to the Sonax? Just an idea. I only waited 2 hours after applying the Sonax to top coat with ReJex, just for this reason. Giving it a shot to cross-link.

My one experimental variable was that the roof of the car ONLY got Sonax. No top coat of ReJex was applied. So as the summer wears on, and as the car takes a beating from my wife and kids, I'll be able to compare the roof to the hood and see if the ReJex top-coat provided any extra protection.

I'm not really looking for more questions, just some real life experiences.

Good luck with that!

My point was that if you simply listen to what Rejex (and Ed Kollins who developed the product) say in that thread, you'd probably get a better understanding of how to use the product and why.

Looks good! I have been wanting to try Sonax, but I have a lot of opti-seal left and opti-seal is so fast to apply.

Been using Sonax PNS for almost 2 years now, love the stuff. I've never used Rejex, but I wouldn't top PNS with anything other than Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer (BSD) as they work in tandem. Plus the water-behavior Sonax encourages is like nothing I've seen outside of a coating, I wouldn't want to alter it.

Lasts 6 months on my 24/7 outside vehicle. Refreshed with BSD, I've stretched it to about 8 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back