2015 Corolla or 2015 Civic CVT??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

For the folks here that HAVE ACTUALLY driven both, which CVT is more refined and smoother
with LESS drone....the 2015 Civic or the 2015 Corolla?

Thanks

Last edited:
Doesn't the Corolla have a "more real" transmission? The 4 speed automatic? I'd get that and skip the CVT junk.

"CVT Junk" huh?? Do you have any experience with the current 2015 CVT transmissions? Have you driven any? That seems like a pretty ignorant comment, if you ask me.

Likely the wrong forum to ask. This is BITOG, where older = better for most folks. And CVT is a four-letter word for a car application...

I'd test-drive them both if possible. My wild guess from having lived with or driven a few late-model Hondas is that the Civic is likely to be noisier but more responsive. Whether that noise is offensive is up to you.

Originally Posted By: flinter
"CVT Junk" huh?? Do you have any experience with the current 2015 CVT transmissions? Have you driven any? That seems like a pretty ignorant comment, if you ask me.

Actually, I believe it's an opinion based on a unproven transmission. "light duty" if you will. What was said earlier about "real transmission" is that it has a real Aisin 4 speed that will soak up the abuse and keep on going.

Yeah, CVT junk. They're unproven. My grandmother has a 2012 Jeep Patriot with the CVT, which is the biggest piece of garbage I've ever driven. Yeah it's not a Honda but it's still unproven. I'd buy a CVT car maybe after 2020 after there has been long term trends that prove they're reliable.

Until then, I'll stick to a stick shift or conventional automatic.

No CVT is "refined" It's all about MPG (and emissions). If you want 'refined', try a Ford Focus or Fiesta//or a Chevy Cruze.

'Twas a time when 'Japanese' meant "Reliable". No more. Just over rated and over priced. And 'unrefined'.

really, go try them.

My Kizashi (AWD)just turned 70K miles...has the Jatco CVT (same as the one in the Patriot/Nissans/Mitsubuishi, etc.). This is the older JATCO JF011E which had some issues in some applications. Mine has been reliable enough (changed out the fluid with 2 drain and fills at 60k miles...used Redline CVT fluid though I was warned not to use anything but Suzuki "Green" CVT fluid...the Redline works great). I've gotten used to it and actually prefer it for passing...the thing has awesome mid-range torque. I've been very satisfied with the CVT.

Wow, you ask a serious straightforward question and it starts a fecal atmospheric precipitate because people think new = bad.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
Honda has had a CVT in the civic hybrid since 2001. Almost 15 years, not exactly unproven if you ask me.
So you're saying it's the same transmission they use today?

I would suggest do ALOT of research into which CVT is going to be reliable. Some of my friends on here are quite correct in that some of the CVTs can be really poor quality. Nissans forth generation CVT evidently is better than the fifth generation CVT. The 2013s forward have had a lot of serious issues. My 2008 has been great so far after 109,000 miles. One site that does reliability analysis shows my generation of CVTs is FAR more reliable than the latest one. JATCO has had some quality control problems lately. I really like mine and yes it does have great mid range torque and power. My car is a bit fast and fun to have unofficial drag races in with others
smile.gif

If you get a CVT always use the OEM CVT fluid. .. Many of the problems with the forth gen CVTs has been related to using another type of fluid. No bueno. I have not changed my CVT fluid yet. But I am not concerned too much. I read on the Nissan site a guy had his fluid analyzed at 58k miles and per the scan it said his fluid had 75% of good use left in it. So, I am not going to address mine until 180,000 miles. These fluids are way better than yester year. Heck, my lady's Sunfire never had it ATF changed after 214,000 miles and it performed just fine. But again, use the OEM fluid. And do your research as well. I wish the best for ya
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Noey
No CVT is "refined" It's all about MPG (and emissions). If you want 'refined', try a Ford Focus or Fiesta//or a Chevy Cruze.

'Twas a time when 'Japanese' meant "Reliable". No more. Just over rated and over priced. And 'unrefined'.

really, go try them.

Focus is better car than Civic and Toyota IMO. It steers, handle, brake and feels better in every way. I can't believe you guys are so brainwashed with those Toyotas. There are hundreds of topics with high oil consumption, and somehow nobody question their reliability. As for the way they drive, you're better with a van.

Every new technology needs a few years to mature, I would think CVTs are quite mature along w/ Hybrid technology. EOD it is upto maintenance and taking care of the investment.

Both are terrific small vehicles with less horse power which will be good on any transmission and drivetrain. Great investments!!!

Oh really??
So is that why the Focus and Cruze are rated as "Much Worse Than Average"?? Not worse than average, but MUCH worse than average! No
thanks buddy..I will PASS on a Focus or a Cruze!
You truely believe that a brand new 2015 Civic EX will not prove to be a MUCH more reliable car over a 10 year period compared to a Focus or Cruze?? Come on now....

Oh really??
So is that why the Focus and Cruze are rated as "Much Worse Than Average"?? Not worse than average, but MUCH worse than average! No
thanks buddy..I will PASS on a Focus or a Cruze!
You truely believe that a brand new 2015 Civic EX will not prove to be a MUCH more reliable car over a 10 year period compared to a Focus or Cruze?? Come on now....

I can't speak for the Focus, but I would take a Cruze over a Civic any day.

I have a 2014 Corolla with the cvt. Only have 18k miles so far but I have no problem with it . If you accelerate modest you can get get great mileage numbers. At a even 70mph on flat ground I turn 1900rpm`s . My dash readout over a thousand mile since reset is at 39 mpg average. The Corolla has the best back seat legroom of any compact car on the market , set back there and compare to the Civic . Not even close. CVT`s have been around for awhile now and I don`t believe Toyota just jumps into something new.

A Cruze, huh? Wow, when I test drove the Cruze it was downright scary. It was a hot summer day in NJ and with the AC now, the car's
tiny engine had literally no power! It was dangerous merging onto a highway! Horrible!
Forced between a Cruze and a Focus...Focus hands down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back