Razors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still use a Schick razor that is over 40 years old. It is the old safety type with the disposable, double edged blade. I can still get the blades at the 99 Cent Store and other places.

Funny, I just saw a printed ad for a new double edged safety razor, saying it is a great, convenient shave.

What goes around comes around.

Any of you all still use old razors?

Yes I do and have for a number of years. Why I ever left is beyond me.

I also collect double edge razors. Quite an enjoyable hobby.

I have always used braun electric razors. I have tried the disposable ones but they irritate my face a bit. I might have not used them enough so my face might not have adjusted. For that reason I have never tried the ones you guys are talking about. are they good? better than my rlectric? cause I really like them but would love a better way!

I use a double edge safety razor. In fact I recommend maggardrazors.com for all your shaving needs. Great friendly people and they have some really cool stuff. Im in no way affiliated, I just like their stuff.
smile.gif

I get cheap chinese safety razors on ebay, and get them for a song. I also bought 1000 pack off indian blades for 20 bucks. They're not as nice as some of the high end stuff, but they are cheap. Add some barborsol and I could shave into my 40s at the rate I shave.

Started looking at safety razors after asking my uncle why he still used his. "They work" and that they do

3 or 4 years ago I switched back to my old Gillette SuperSpeed, after having shaved with an electric for a dozen or so years. Double edge blades are extremely cheap-I can buy a pack of 100 for less than $15, and each blade lasts a week or so. That's around 2 years of shaving blades for less than $15.

I've since picked up a dozen or so other razors in boxes of "stuff" at auctions. Some of the most interesting are the old Auto Strop razors.

Originally Posted By: abycat
I have always used braun electric razors. I have tried the disposable ones but they irritate my face a bit. I might have not used them enough so my face might not have adjusted. For that reason I have never tried the ones you guys are talking about. are they good? better than my rlectric? cause I really like them but would love a better way!

I used Braun electrics for a few years. Suddenly, one day, I felt what I thought was a hair being pulled. When I lowered the razor, I stared at a thin scratch on my face weeping blood. Leave it to me to cut myself with an electric. (The foil on the head had split and a tiny bit of metal was sticking up.)

I went to a Norelco rotary after that. But the head blades have worn down and it no longer shaves closely. Instead of going for another electric, I tried a double-edge razor from Lee's Razors (http://www.leesrazors.com/). Works beautifully, much closer shave, takes any brand of DE blade, cleans up easily. Blades are cheap, too.

I just picked up two Gillette adjustable razors. I think its called a model 195. One is a Fat Boy, the other has the slimmer stem. Been shaving with the Fat Boy. Havent tried the slim one yet.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I still use a Schick razor that is over 40 years old. It is the old safety type with the disposable, double edged blade. I can still get the blades at the 99 Cent Store and other places.

Funny, I just saw a printed ad for a new double edged safety razor, saying it is a great, convenient shave.

What goes around comes around.

Any of you all still use old razors?

The new ones I have seen arent adjustable. That can make s huge difference on shave quality.

I buy the bags of disposable Bic sensitive skin razors for like $5. I can usually use the razor twice and maybe 3 times if I don't wait too long in between shaves.

It just cost way too much to buy blades for a permanent razor. Well, assuming you can get the blades as they seem to discontinue the razor and blades every couple years forcing you to get the newest and latest( and more $$$ ). My Dad wouldn't use the disposable ones and I was always having to buy blades and/or a new razor for him. Some of those darn blades ran $30 a pack. Just crazy.

I have a Wahls beard trimmer to knock down the hedges then I use the disposable Bic to mow the lawn.

Last edited:
The most I have paid for blades for my DE is $30/100, including shipping. I use the Personna medical prep blades, made in USA. I get a week out of each. So, that's about two years' worth of shaves for $30. I don't think you can beat that, even with disposables.

I have to take a disposable with me on trips when using carry-on luggage. The removable paper thin blade is too risky for flying, I guess.

I have a Merkur 1904 double edge safety razor that I use with Rapira blades and Arko shaving soap every day. This combination gives me a close, smooth shave at very low cost. I also infrequently use a Gem Micromatic single edge razor that was given to me by my grandfather when I first learned to shave. The Gem is tricky, as it exposes the blade far enough out to make serious nicks a real hazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back