What's the longest lasting sealant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've finally found the time to do some exterior detailing on my vehicles.

I have Collinite 845 but am wondering if I should change to something else.

Reason is it looks like as a family we are going to be much busier, cars are going to be parked outside more often, subject to more tree sap, bird poop etc.

So I'm wondering what to use. A few products have caught my eye:

1) Rejex
2) Opti Coat
3) Simoniz Glasscoat

Seems Rejex is very resistant but does not last long. Some people say it lasts barely as long as advertised. Some say it does last as long as advertised.

Opti Coat is supposed to last several years, but what if it is not washed. Is it resistant like Rejex?

Simoniz Glasscoat seems to be resistant like Rejex with the longevity of Opti Coat. But what are the real life experiences of this product?

And how do these compare to Collinite 845?

My experience with Rejex has been very good. I cannot comment on the other products. However, if you use Rejex as directed, particularly with obeying the curing instructions, longevity is not a problem.

That would likely be a matter of opinion since conclusive tests are hard to impossible to come by.

My somewhat educated guess would be Opti Coat because it is not a sealant but a ceramic coating. That puts it in a different category entirely.

finish-kare-1000p-hi-temp-paste-wax-412g.jpg
After taking detailing classes at Meguiar's headquarters in Irvine, California I've tried many different sealants over the years. I love a detailed car, but unlike the detailing whackos at MeguiarsOnLine and AutoGeek, I absolutely hate the work.

Finish Kare 1000p Hi-Temp Paste Wax (it's 100% synthetic sealant)is the longest lasting sealant I have used and I've stopped using everything else.

It comes from Fred Meguiar, the black sheep of the Meguiar's family and was originally formulated as mold release wax. It looks fantastic and is very durable. I have personal experience with lasting through Rocky Mountain winters and Mojave summers.

The only problem reports I've ever come across are from people who apply too much of it. Extremely thin coats work best. I apply two for complete coverage. It looks best after 24-48 hours cure time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RTexasF
That would likely be a matter of opinion since conclusive tests are hard to impossible to come by.

My somewhat educated guess would be Opti Coat because it is not a sealant but a ceramic coating. That puts it in a different category entirely.

As mentioned by RTF, Opti Coat, CQuartz UK, etc. are not sealants. They are ceramic coatings that last exponentially longer than sealants. Of course, this means that they cost more and require more prep work, but they reward you with extended durability.

As far as sealants go, the above mentioned FK1000 is very durable and fairly cheap. The Duragloss 601/105 combo is very durable and affordable as well.

As with any other LSP, prep is the key. If the surface is prepared properly, you will get MUCH better results that last longer.

As mentioned earlier, FK1000P. Another long lasting but less work, Prima hydro max.

Duragloss Total Performance Polish lasted almost a year on my mom's GMC Jimmy that is parked in the garage when not used.

Finish Kare 1000, Collinite 476, and 845(not quite as durable, but easier to use) are also good options.

Even Meguiars Ultimate does a decent job, but when you can get Duragloss for under 15 bucks, it is what I keep going back to.

I've spent a lot of time on the Autopia.org detailing forum. Collinite 845 has a very good reputation for longevity and I use it myself. It's not a sealant but a wax. If I have time to be thorough I like to use Klasse sealant and top it with Collinite 845. It gives a real "pop" to the paint and will last as long as any standard sealant or wax.

I also use Duragloss TPP with the bonding agent. Seems to work very well.
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Duragloss Total Performance Polish lasted almost a year on my mom's GMC Jimmy that is parked in the garage when not used.

Finish Kare 1000, Collinite 476, and 845(not quite as durable, but easier to use) are also good options.

Even Meguiars Ultimate does a decent job, but when you can get Duragloss for under 15 bucks, it is what I keep going back to.

Outside cars I always use Collinite's- and depending on what kind of car determines which Collinite.

Originally Posted By: JMG
Outside cars I always use Collinite's- and depending on what kind of car determines which Collinite.

+1 Collinite is my winter wax. I prefer Meguiar's M26 in the spring/summer.

FK1000p has an excellent reputation, both in longevity and in looks.

I use chemical guys m-seal as it was shown to last a long time. It is not very popular however.

Originally Posted By: SonicMustang
After taking detailing classes at Meguiar's headquarters in Irvine, California I've tried many different sealants over the years. I love a detailed car, but unlike the detailing whackos at MeguiarsOnLine and AutoGeek, I absolutely hate the work.

Finish Kare 1000p Hi-Temp Paste Wax (it's 100% synthetic sealant)is the longest lasting sealant I have used and I've stopped using everything else.

It comes from Fred Meguiar, the black sheep of the Meguiar's family and was originally formulated as mold release wax. It looks fantastic and is very durable. I have personal experience with lasting through Rocky Mountain winters and Mojave summers.

The only problem reports I've ever come across are from people who apply too much of it. Extremely thin coats work best. I apply two for complete coverage. It looks best after 24-48 hours cure time.

How does this stuff compare to Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax?

Originally Posted By: 007

FK1000 vs. Megs ULW... you will get 8- 10 weeks more protection from FK1000. Megs ULW will have better looks during the first 2- 4 weeks.

Answer assumes a proper wash/ paint decon/ polish and how often you care for the vehicle after and your local environment + how the vehicle is stored.

Originally Posted By: genynnc
Originally Posted By: 007

FK1000 vs. Megs ULW... you will get 8- 10 weeks more protection from FK1000. Megs ULW will have better looks during the first 2- 4 weeks.

Answer assumes a proper wash/ paint decon/ polish and how often you care for the vehicle after and your local environment + how the vehicle is stored.

Florida vehicle outside 24/7 and I currently use Meguiars UPW not ULW.

As far as standard OTC sealants are concerned meg's ultimate wax (I used the paste) has been good. It looks good, lasts and can applied to a HOT or freezing car (I've done both). Very easy to use and remove. I currently have meg's paint protect 365 on my car- it is supposed to last all year but I cannot confirm that it does this. It IS very cheap however ($10/bottle).

I will say I am intrigued by the "big white" mentioned above...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back