2001 GMC Z71 Rear end Clunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 GMC Sierra Ex Cab Z71. When you come to a stop it makes a clunk or slap sound. Does same when you take off like it goes back into place. You can feel it to. Its almost like the whole rear end axle and all roll forward or something when you stop and it makes the noise and then it goes back when you take off. Any ideas? 208,000 miles on truck. Also on my rear brakes I think its coming from drivers side it has a rattle but when break is applied even just pushing the petal down a little it goes away. I cant target it for the life of me.

I found this for rear end clunk or drive shaft clunk. Im gonna try it and see if it helps.
Want to fix it once and for all? Go to an auto parts store and buy some leaf spring clamps and attach them right in front of the rear axle and you will never hear or feel that dreaded clunk again! They prevent the minor axle wrap that jerks the drive shaft upon stopping and taking off, plus it will give you better traction and make the rear end feel more planted. Cost $10 and takes 10 minutes to put them on, I did it and it was still dead silent a year later when I sold my Silverado

Last edited:
Well the clamps fixed the rear end clunk. I don't feel the best way to describe it rear end roll out of place on stop and go back into place on takeoff. Still gotta pin point the sound with my rear breaks. Its like somethings rubbing or loose and when you hit the pedal it goes away. Seems like it gets faster when speeding up to.

hph...amp;oe=55764DE6

at...&height=468

The clamps fixed the rearend clunk. Put on new anti rattlers as I call them to fix the break problem. Rotors were rubbing the rattlers pretty bad.

Last edited:
I'm glad you were able to solve this problem.

Often when I dealt with a rear-end clunk like you described, the driveshaft carrier bearing needed replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back