Honda steering fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Accord 's steering fluid is below the low mark. Sadly, I don't know know how long it had been that way. My co-worker indicated he can hear grinding noise when I turn the wheels with the hood up.

What fluid does Honda recommend for steering? Would ATF fluid be fine? Also, is this a an easy DIY job?

They technically only recommend OEM fluid like any MFG, but this is one to be listened to, its been over a year since I've dickered with a Honda. The CST is different from that of "normal" power steering fluid and those labeled Honda/Acura should be suitable for the system. I've use the Prestone Walmart Brand in between actual OEM Honda flushes on 2 Honda cars to purge bad burnt fluid on the cheap, but the best feel was had when I spend $7 a bottle on OEM juice and used it to flush the system after the cheap stuff came out clear after several thousand miles... 500 mile intervals of swapping. Take this with weight or not, but this is the only OEM fluid I've ever had a better feeling by using "by the book." The OEM reservoir is not that large if you pull the hose from the rack base you can get around 30% of the fluid out if this is a 92-00 Honda PS system. It's messy but effective, there are also methods that involve "hot swapping" fluid by hooking up a suction and return while turning the rack to purge fluid... be careful if you do this air is really hard to get out of the hydraulic system.

Last edited:
NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Do NOT use ATF in that Honda.

You MUST use a PSF designed for Hondas. The good news is that you don't have to get it at the dealer. Walmart has Honda PSF for only $2 and change.

And yes, it's easy to add power steering fluid.

Surprised someone did not mention but its easy -- buy yourself a turkey baster. Suck/extract out all you can with it which I would say is going to be about 70% and refill with your Honda PSF to max line. Do that same method at your next oil change interval to get the remaining old fluids out that were mixed with the new. Again fill to max line and your good to go!! I usually do that method on all my vehicles every 3rd or 4th oil change. Note, for my Acura I do use only Honda PSF as it looked to have transmission fluid in it & whined when I first purchased it. Used the turkey baster method and replaced with the Honda PSF and have not heard a whimper since!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OE Honda only. Are you sure that not the cold mark? Some noise is totally normal but grinding isn't. The reservoir would have to be empty or almost to start making noises usually associated with low fluid.
It shouldn't make noise just at the cold or low mark.

Originally Posted By: Trav
OE Honda only. Are you sure that not the cold mark? Some noise is totally normal but grinding isn't. The reservoir would have to be empty or almost to start making noises usually associated with low fluid.

Honda says to check it cold, at least on my Accord. There are only low and full marks.

+1 on Honda only.

I don't know about recent Hondas, but the ones I worked on from 1989-1999 had openings in the reservoir that would not accommodate a baster. I either used a Mighty Vac pump or disconnected the return line and ran the engine to get the P/S pump to empty the fluid (that is actually the shop manual procedure). I used a hose barb connector to extend the length of the return hose so I could run it straight into a disposal container.

Once and done.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I don't know about recent Hondas, but the ones I worked on from 1989-1999 had openings in the reservoir that would not accommodate a baster. I either used a Mighty Vac pump or disconnected the return line and ran the engine to get the P/S pump to empty the fluid (that is actually the shop manual procedure). I used a hose barb connector to extend the length of the return hose so I could run it straight into a disposal container.

Once and done.

It took me a while of shopping around store to store to find a narrow baster to fit in the reservoir on my 90-00 civics, but hes right, a traditional .99 cent special baster wont work. I found mine at walmart in the higher end kitchen stuff for about $5

I use a CarQuest oil suction gun on most PSF reservoirs. When that doesn't fit (most Toyotas) I use a MixMiser 2-cycle oil measuring tool: http://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-Gas-and-Chemical-MixMizer/16889145

As for PSF, I have been using O'Reilly Honda PSF.

Don't use anything other than Honda PSF. Honda made a different PSF because back in the 1980s, everybody's P/S rack was prone to leaking, and Honda specified a different PSF to try to solve the problem.

Originally Posted By: mister_two
Autozone actually sells Power steering fluid labelled for "Honda/Acura" vehicles. Anyone tried it?

Yeah, it works fine
smile.gif

I've also used Napa's Honda PS, and also the prestone Honda PSF at Walmart. They're all good.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Trav's recommendations are to be heeded.

But if you are unable to get OEM Honda PSF you can use a well known brand of fluid that states "For Honda and Acura Power Steering Systems ONLY!"

Prestone, Bardahl, Wynns, and a few others are safe to use and will NOT damage the seals that are what fails using the incorrect type of fluid in Honda steering systems.

I've read the MSDS of both generic PSF and "for Honda" PSF. The Honda one is thicker and has additional detergents in it. Honda PSF was around $5 / 12oz last time I bought from dealer, it is supposed to be "synthetic blend". You can save a couple bucks buying "for Honda" generic but I heard they are dino. It is not like you need to change it all the time, but I'd at least use those for Honda generic instead of ATF.

I put prestone syn in mine back in dec and it seemed to steer a bit easier in single to below zero temps, I had tech do a full flush

Last edited:
OP here. Thanks guys for the help. I changed the fluid out last night. It was pretty dark but still fluid instead of crud and junk.

While I was changing my PS fluid for my Accord, I thought about doing the fluid change for my 2012 Honda Fit but I couldn't find the reservoir in the Fit. Does anyone knows where it is?

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
OP here.
-snip-
I thought about doing the fluid change for my 2012 Honda Fit but I couldn't find the reservoir in the Fit. Does anyone knows where it is?

I think your Fit has electric power steering, so no fluid reservoir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back