NGK G-Power platunum plug vs NGK double platinum p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

There is quite a price difference between the two. Do you think I would see much if any difference between the NGK Platinum and the NGK double Platinum plug?

Thanks
Kiron Kid

it all depends what type of ignition system you have. double plats are a waste if you have one coil, or one coil per cylinder. if you share one coil across two cylinders, you NEED double plats

because if you have one coil per car or one coil per cylinder, the spark always goes the same direction and most of the wear is on the center electrode. if you share a coil across two cylinders, then the spark goes the opposite direction for every other cylinder and the wear is different

Denso Iridium TT if you want an economy Iridium/Platinum plug. Stay away from Platinum, its the worst material out of copper/platinum/iridium to make a spark plug out of.

First,
welcome2.gif

Second, what car? The NGK Laser Platinum is OE on many cars.

The double platinum Laser will last longer than the single platinum G-power, probably about twice as long.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
I have one of those one coil, two cylinder cars,

The copper tipped NGK V-powers work just fine and are smooth runnIng...

http://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/results-cars...mp;aaia=1040945

yes, copper plugs work fine on those. you simply cant expect to run them for 100k miles. I should have been more clear: if you are going to run plugs with a precious metal on them, then the "single" vs "double" depends on the type of ignition system you have. there is nothing wrong at all with copper plugs. however, I have switched from copper to plats on some of my cars that have very difficult access to the plugs; like a Durango with the Hemi; conversion van....

For plugs, I'd use what's suggested/spec'd by the manufacturer and don't deviate. There's been many times in the past where an alternative just didn't work right for me. I've never used upgraded or downgraded plugs since that time and never had an issue.

I did a little experiment last year. I ran basic G power Platinum plugs in a 96 1MZFE (which specs dual electrode plugs) given the waste spark ignition.

At 30k, the G power plugs were shot.

If you spec a dual electrode plug, just stick with them.

+1. Spot on. Use OEM and you will be good to go. Some world champion put single electrode plug in the Toyota my lady got. I replaced it with with OEM plugs that are doing great.

I use NGK Platinum single electrode plugs in two I4 Camrys. They go about 50K before the gap gets wide enough to worry about. Seems to me the single "ground" electrode design shrouds the spark less that other designs. I don't mind changing them because access is easy on the I4. If I had a V6, I'd stick with the dual electrode plugs because the back bank is a PITA to get to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back