Farmall 806 Hydraulic filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
i found the most interesting thing when i changed the hydraulic filter in our new (to me) tractor:

number 1, the filter was collapsed and had "failed"

0504152039_zpsk9osvdl4.jpg

but that's not what was so interesting.

i found all of this pellet stuff crammed in the filter housing. it was all packed in the bottom of the housing around the filter (where the side is collapsed)
0504151954_zpseh5qc2ko.jpg

i can't tell what it is for sure, it looks like pellets for a wood stove, but it could be rat poison or something. they are solid pellets but to crush under pressure.
0504151955_zpsfjavg5vv.jpg

what's more interesting is how the heck did it get in there? there is no way these went through the pump. they would have trashed the pump for sure. the only possibility i can come up with is that the cap for the hydraulic reservoir must have been dislodged at some point and mice (or rats) were depositing them in the hole. but for that to work, the filter has to be on the suction side of the pump, which would not be what i consider "normal"

maybe this will fix some of the goofy hydrualic things i've noticed, like the loader not wanting to cycle sometimes.

anyway, thought some might find it interesting as well.
enjoy

i suppose anything is possible, though i seriously doubt someone would take to effing with my tractor when they could get even any number of other ways which would be much easier.

a full fluid change and another filter change is on the short list .... right after rebuilding the carburetor.

Looks like maybe wood pellets or pelletized feed. As for how it got in there I am pretty sure most of the older IH/Farmall tractors were suction filtration on the hyd. system. They did have some screens in place in the valve bodies where contamination could create an issue

Surprised I missed this post... the hydraulic filter is indeed on the suction side of the hydraulic pumps (two pumps share the same intake)

not sure what it is either.. how did the filter bypass look?

I agree this is odd.

...I'm working on our 706 still and plan on adding a filter to the cooler line for added protection since these filters are only rated about 30 micron nominal.... seems they tend to do just fine, but my BITOG in me wants a nice 10 micron filter in the loop somewhere :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back