Teacher suspended for jamming cell phones in class

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Faraday cage would work ...it would block outside signals. Internal WiFi would still work and that system should have faceyspaces, twitterverses and any other mind numbing trash disabled. Historically the daydreamers were the likes of aristotle, henry ford and steve jobs. The problem is lack of quiet time to develop critical thinking skills ...I see it every day.

Who will rebuild America going forward? When these metro tech junkies that are mentally nuked daily cant make change for a dollar when the register quits.

Originally Posted By: ccap41
Originally Posted By: linkbelt
This Teacher has earned a raise in pay!

AGREED!

Are you sure about it.
Have you applied critical thinking to your post?
I think you guys are falling into the same trap of just apply the simplest draconion measures to anybody or anything who doesn't agree with you?

The teacher failed to engage the students and couldn't think of any other way to stop cellphone use without the ultimate desperate and apparently illegal measure to jam the cellphones.

Is that what you want to reward? if can't figure any other way to accomplish something go ahead and break the law to get to the goal?

I'm sure there's some magic Mary Poppins, 1 in a million, saint of a teacher out there who could say I don't have this problem with my students because I do x,y, and z.

If that teacher really figured it out, then THAT'S the teacher that truly deserves the reward/pay raise or whatever. Not the teacher that does a cheap shortcut that just makes internet posters feel better about themselves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Mystic
This is exactly how stupid everything has become. Why should students be allowed to use cellphones or smartphones in class? They are supposed to be paying attention in class and learning-right? How can they learn anything if they are busy texting to their friends?

And what happened to the rights of teachers to have discipline in class?

What's to say they are allowed?? Doesn't mean they can't be snuck in, used to text (equivalent of passing notes in class), surf the web (equivalent to sneaking a magazine in a textbook), etc.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Kids have always misbehaved, snuck items into class, etc.

The issue is that instead of confiscating the items, or suspending the students with a mark in the permanent school record, the teacher took the solution into their own hands and did something illegal per the fcc.

JHZR2 is right. There are assumptions in this thread that phones are allowed in class, but we don't have that information. They may not be allowed or be required to be turned off. We'd have to know the school's policy on that.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
The teacher should let the Unions fight the Feds - all they have to do is claim "academic freedom" and that's the magic trump card! By doing so, they're saying you're hampering their ability to teach...and the Union thugs and probably Union lawyers will ride in on their White Horses to the teachers defense!

Ed
"Academic freedom" does not trump the Communications Act of 1934, as amended.

Meh

Here is how I look at it:

Teacher wants students to focus on class by jamming cellphones, not a good approach but it is one way.

On the other hand, why not show them some tough love? Fail them hard and if they don't learn, they eventually will when they step out in the real world.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: ccap41
Originally Posted By: linkbelt

AGREED!

Are you sure about it.
I think you guys are falling into the same trap of just apply the simplest draconion measures to anybody or anything who doesn't agree with you?

The teacher failed to engage the students and couldn't think of any other way to stop cellphone use without the ultimate desperate and apparently illegal measure to jam the cellphones.

Is that what you want to reward? if can't figure any other way to accomplish something go ahead and break the law to get to the goal?

I'm sure there's some magic Mary Poppins, 1 in a million, saint of a teacher out there who could say I don't have this problem with my students because I do x,y, and z.

If that teacher really figured it out, then THAT'S the teacher that truly deserves the reward/pay raise or whatever. Not the teacher that does a cheap shortcut that just makes internet posters feel better about themselves.
You were IN that classroom, were you? You've got all the answers.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Meh

Here is how I look at it:

Teacher wants students to focus on class by jamming cellphones, not a good approach but it is one way.

On the other hand, why not show them some tough love? Fail them hard and if they don't learn, they eventually will when they step out in the real world.

Close. I think sending the offender out of class, and failing them for the day, everytime a cell phone rears its head would be effective. Make sure the parents are informed on each occasion that the kid was removed from class, and why....Along with what the consequences are.

A failing grade is about as tough as a modern teacher can get......If they are even allowed to give a failing grade.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: raytseng
ccap41 said:
linkbelt said:

AGREED!

Are you sure about it.

This simple situation does not require "critical thinking", just discipline.

The school Board should not allow these things in the classroom, the teachers would not need to get involved. Just teach, that's what get paid for.

I don't care if anybody agrees with this or not!

Last edited:
Them having the phones and using them is two different stories.

That being said, she had no place jamming and tampering with public airwaves. FCC really likes when you do that.

I agree the teacher went about stopping the cellphone/smartphone use in the wrong way. But in my opinion cellphones/smartphones should not be allowed in a classroom or there should be a requirement that they are turned off. As was pointed out by someone else, students could cheat on tests by texting each other in class. Cheating is cheating. Back when I was in school anybody caught cheating was in trouble. Back in those days people would have answers on a piece of paper somewhere or written on their hands or whatever. Or sometimes somebody would whisper to you and ask what the answer was for a certain question. Now of course with smartphones they can text each other.

And the students need to be paying attention in class so that they can learn. They are going to need to learn how to do more in life than just how to text somebody. I have seen people texting each other while they were sitting side by side. How about learning how to communicate face to face with other human beings? That is an important skill people need.

People can be so wrapped up in their smartphones they even put themselves and others in danger. An obvious example is somebody texting while driving but I have also seen people walk right out into traffic with their smartphone held to their ear.

And I have seen a video on TV where a teacher was literally attacked when the teacher tried to take away a student's smartphone.

These smartphones seem like some sort of addiction to some people. They probably are not going to find very many jobs where they can just text all day.

My employees know to leave their phones in the trailer or in their cars. If I catch anyone on the phone while on my dime they get sent home for the day.
They ask what's the big deal. The big deal is when I have 30 men take 5 minutes a day on their phones that costs me real money. It's not pennies
And that's just talking. How much time per man gets eaten up looking at the phone,texting,then chatting up the guys about these texts etc.
If I gave it serious thought I'll bet thousands of my dollars are wasted in lost production from what I dont see,so I am a jerk when I do see it
This teacher in all likelihood has tried everything and bought this jammer as a last resort.
Personally I say put a box at the front door. All phones in the box at the start of class,grab it on your way out.
Life is rarely so simple though

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: horse123
Originally Posted By: totegoat
Why are cells allowed in class at all?

Because not everyone is a bitter old hag like you that hates younger generations having any enjoyment from new technology.

Totally uncalled for personal attack.

Also, the poster didn't say young people shouldn't have and enjoy technology. The comment was, basically, that students shouldn't have cell phones in class. Most people, young( out of school )and old would agree with that.

Thanks for the props. Obviously there are more idiots than forums, due to the dumbing down epidemic.

Nail him to the wall...maximum sentence on all charges, served consecutively in maximum security. No plea bargains, no mercy. Pound him flat, make an example of him.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Nail him to the wall...maximum sentence on all charges, served consecutively in maximum security. No plea bargains, no mercy. Pound him flat, make an example of him.

What would you do if your kids were in his class ?

What would you do if your kids were in his class ?
[/quote]

That's an easy one! I would simply inform my kids that if their teacher reported to me that they were using those things during her/his class, they would no longer have them.
I am quite sure the gov. could not do anything about that!

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
A Faraday cage would work ...it would block outside signals. Internal WiFi would still work and that system should have faceyspaces, twitterverses and any other mind numbing trash disabled. Historically the daydreamers were the likes of aristotle, henry ford and steve jobs. The problem is lack of quiet time to develop critical thinking skills ...I see it every day.

Who will rebuild America going forward? When these metro tech junkies that are mentally nuked daily cant make change for a dollar when the register quits.

That's not a result of kids having technology. That is a result of schools not teaching kids how to do anything other than take the standardized test ...

Some day you may need an operation, and perhaps the doctor will have spent his medical school class time on his or her cell phone.

with all the school shootings going on in this country, you hate to get killed because the teacher forgot to turn off his cell phone jamming device!

My educator wife had classroom problems with the phones. The students were often so addicted, they couldn't/wouldn't leave them alone. So a basket to drop them in when coming to class was proposed, but 'legal affairs'(2 lawyers and paras-admin=7 people)at her campus wouldn't allow as 'the student's property wasn't safeguarded'. Legal wanted signed/sealed envelopes used =inpractical. My wife then booted them out for the day. Most learned-some not. As an aside my wife mentioned at her 35 year point that admin/staff to teachers was about 10%/90% back in 1974 and years later was about 50%/50%. The puplic has little idea of the growth in 'the support' areas that often cause more problems than actual support to teaching. My wife liked to remind those remote from students that 'the job of all in the building ultimately was facilitation of student education'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back