2009 Lancer, Valvoline Maxlife, 5w-20 7,019 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a friends Lancer. This is the second run with the Valvoline Maxlife 5w-20 I picked it up on clearance for $1 a qt back last Dec. The oil filter on this run was a Mann filter. I don't know much about how the vehicle is driven, it is a standard shift. They live about 10 miles in the country and it is mostly driven on 2 lane country roads. I picked up some Mobil 1 high mileage 5w-20 for a dollar a qt as well and that is what is in the Lancer now with a CarQuest filter.

Code:
This first sample from your Lancer looked good. Universal averages for this type of Mitsubishi 4B11 engine (far right)

show typical wear levels after ~5,000 miles on the oil, and after a longer interval, your metals were lower in comparison.

That's a good indication that internal parts are getting along famously and no obvious mechanical issues are in the

works. We didn't find any coolant or excess fuel in the oil, and the TBN was fine at 3.1. Insolubles at 0.5% are near the

limit and show your oil filter was close to being used up, so try running just 8,000 miles on the next oil.

OIL Valvoline Maxlife 5w-20

MILES IN USE 7,019

MILES 105,503

SAMPLE TAKEN 5/22/15

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 12

COPPER 0

LEAD 1

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 21

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 3

BORON 24

SILICON 10

SODIUM 286

CALCIUM 2222

MAGNESIUM 10

PHOSPHORUS 711

ZINC 862

BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 51.8

cSt @ 212ºF 7.83

FLASHPOINT ºF 385

Fuel%
Antifreeze% 0.0

wATER% 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.5

TBN 3.1

Good #'s. With the Insol # being up, it's likely the MaxLife was doing a good bit of cleaning. A 3.1 TBN after 7k is solid. MaxLife always seems to turn in great UOAs, it's a tough oil to beat for the money on a high mileage car. Thanks for the post.

I have often read on hete about how valvoline motor oils are weak or short oci oil but almost always gets pretty good uoas. What filter was used. Maybe a filter with greater holding capacity would help insolubles. The oil did its Job.

GreAt hm oil. Perhaps the best and certainly the daddy of hm oils. Keep doing oci to see trending takes several this one looks good though.

Nice report. A MANN filter; aka re-bandaged Purolator perhaps?
whistle.gif

I'd like to see if the insols come down on a subsequent UOA. So, this was a 6 month OCI it would seem (if installed last Dec)?

Other than the insols great numbers and it could have simply been from more cleaning going on and hopefully not Tearolator.
thumbsup2.gif

If insols remain up, perhaps a filter with more holding capacity would be useful. Maybe there is enough cleanup going on while also running extended OCIs to even consider an idle flush just before the next oil change?

I'd imagine the CarQuest has a better holding capacity than the MANN. This is assuming CarQuest = Napa Gold / Wix and the MANN = Purolator classic.
21.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back