Will installing an oil cooler gain power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine said that he installed an oil cooler and the car felt more responsive to throttle. Does that make sense to you? It does not to me. Will installing an oil cooler actually help gain power?

It should have about as much affect on performance as changing the windshield wipers.

Originally Posted By: hansj3
No, just no

Careful...

Typically, an oil cooler will not increase power, and in fact may actually reduce engine power, as cooler oil is thicker oil, and thus takes MORE energy to pump etc.

However, many modern cars monitor oil temps, and if gets too hot, the computer will start to REDUCE POWER, in an effort to keep oil temps out of the danger zone ...

So, IF the car in question does reduce power when the oil gets too hot, then, YES, an oil cooler could allow the engine to make full power under extreme oil temp conditions. Note... not MORE power, just better use of the engines available max power.

also, if the oil gets thin enough to allow more metal to metal contact, friction will go up. the friction coefficient of the AW layer is much higher than you'd see with hydrodynamic or mixed lubrication.

If this powerloss can be measured or gets lost in the noise is another matter

besides the science behind it in modern cars its like saying i cleaned my car now its much faster.

If will if that car has a flux capacitor. This is especially true when loaded with a fresh charge of plutonium to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity necessary for proper operation.

The only way it could would be if his crank had piston squirters and he was overheating and it was pulling timing.

But the water cooling would have way more effect. The weight of the hardware would slow him down more than the positive effect it would have.

Unless his rings are shot and the thicker oil seals better, but then he could have just put in thicker oil.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Avery4
A friend of mine said that he installed an oil cooler and the car felt more responsive to throttle. Does that make sense to you? It does not to me. Will installing an oil cooler actually help gain power?

In his mind to justify the cost, of course the engine felt more responsive. But not in the real world.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Originally Posted By: hansj3
No, just no

Careful...

Typically, an oil cooler will not increase power, and in fact may actually reduce engine power, as cooler oil is thicker oil, and thus takes MORE energy to pump etc.

However, many modern cars monitor oil temps, and if gets too hot, the computer will start to REDUCE POWER, in an effort to keep oil temps out of the danger zone ...

So, IF the car in question does reduce power when the oil gets too hot, then, YES, an oil cooler could allow the engine to make full power under extreme oil temp conditions. Note... not MORE power, just better use of the engines available max power.
Controlling the oils temp whether a fast warm up or to prevent excessive oil temps yes there is a power gain ,probably not seat of the pants noticeable and this would require a thermostat setup. Not too cool not too hot right in the optimum temp range.

I'd say that if the cooler is thermostatically controlled it won't sap any power, and if the motor gets hot enough to need it then it could help maintain power that would otherwise be lost to friction. Don't know if it would be seat of the pants noticeable.
How heavy is the setup? Weight = slow..

It would also add some potential oil leak areas. An oil cooler should go on AFTER performance mods that WORK are made. On the other hand, since this is the same guy who wants to run around in a baffed out Civic with NO muffler, because "HE" doesn't care about noise, .... hey, GO for it, troll.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Hard to tell the difference by the seat of the pants.

My seat of the pants can tell a difference of about 5% in hp.

A dirty car has more drag compared to a clean waxed one, but can u feel it?

The friend might have cooling problems.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
A dirty car has more drag compared to a clean waxed one, but can u feel it?

The friend might have cooling problems.
Or mental problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back