Too much aluminum and silicon in ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I got a 2013 Corolla automatic, 52k miles on the odometer. At 30k I did a drain and fill with Toyota ATF. I sampled the trans fluid and sent it to Blackstone. The results came back with aluminum at 78 and silicon at 284. Is this normal for this year and model, or am I heading for trouble? I've noticed rougher shifting lately.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the Forum!

Those numbers are normal for leftover break-in residue from seals / gaskets and clutch material.

Suggest you consider doing several drain and fills with Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic ATF (LV - Low Viscosity) for only $17.00 per gallon at Walmart. This ATF meets Toyota's WS specification on your transmission and is what I use in my 2013 and 2012 Toyota Corolla's.

Transaxle will take 3 quarts per drain and fill. Your model has the U341E transmission with a drain plug and dipstick tube to make things easy.

IF a shop does the work instead of yourself, buy a gallon of ATF at Walmart and bring it along during your next engine oil change and pay the mechanic an extra $10.00 - $15.00 for a quick drain and fill while the vehicle is already up in the air. Transmission drain and fill should take less time than the engine oil and filter change.

^^^Absolutely.

A typical slushbox will generate the majority of its potential debris when newer, with the amount tailing off as it ages...

Originally Posted By: CT8
A drain and fill removes less than half of the oil.
Is this true for the ATF drain & fill in a Honda Civic R18 as well ?

I am not familiar with the honda but with a torque converter is filled with oil to work.

Does your Toyota use RTV for the pan gasket? If so you found a lot of the silicone. Aluminum used in autoparts that are wear surfaces also have a lot of silicone in them and you have left over silica from the sand used in sand casting the case.

I would drain and refill twice at your next 2 OCI's. I am assuming your Corolla has a drain plug on the pan and a dipstick tube for refilling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back