CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve Carbon Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

VR6

Hello All! Just thought I would post my observations after using the CRC brand GDI IVD spray. The vehicle I used it on is a 2012 VW Passat with the 3.6L VR6 engine. The car has about 32k-ish miles on it. VAG DI engines have a reputation for being carbon prone so I thought I would give this a shot.

I followed all the directions on the can to the letter. I had to remove the airbox lid from the MAF to get the straw past the MAF sensor itself. During treatment the engine would decelerate as if to stall, but would recover as I stopped spraying. No codes were thrown during the process.

My observations following treatment: No codes. No lights. No driveability concerns. Upon initial redline acceleration there was a small trail of white/brown smoke from the exhaust. It never returned.

Thoughts: I have no idea how much carbon buildup was on the valves prior to this process. I have no idea how much is on there after the process. Is this product snake oil?... Maybe. Did it cause any immediate damage or concerns?... No. As long as no harm is being done I see no reason not to spend $13 every 10k miles on this product. If it is even just slowing the buildup of carbon I'd say it is probably worth it.

As far as I can tell, the jury is still out (with the exception of physically cleaning the valves) on how to best deal with the carbon issues in these engines. Chemical treatments, catch cans, water injection, etc.

My particular engine has the cyclonic oil separator from the factory. Hopefully this is helping to pull some of the crud out of the PCV system. Like I said... without disassembly or scoping the engine there is no way for me to tell if this problem is lurking under my hood.

The price of technological advancement I suppose... Solve one problem only to create another!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back