Non-ethanol pump spout. Different size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
E85 nozzles are exactly the same size as E10 and E0 nozzles. That is why there are labels all over the place on the E85 pumps.

Use that Wikipedia page with a grain of salt. A lot of bad info on there. For example, it lists that ethanol free gas is illegal in Minnesota. Yet there are many retailers selling ethanol free (non-oxy) 91 octane all over the state. Its labeled for use in collector cars, OPE, boats, and ATV's, but nobody polices it.

Also, not sure how things work in other states, but there is no such thing as off-road gasoline in Minnesota. Doesn't matter what you pay for, you pay road taxes. However, some of that tax money is given to programs like ATV trails, snowmobile trails, etc... Off road diesel is another story... In addition, you can apply for a refund of the tax on gasoline, but it is never sold without the tax.

Guessing in the case of the OP that the hardware from an old diesel pump is being reused. Would work fine with filling gas cans, but not sure what else...

every state has in essence been allowed to write their own mandate as long as they meet the federal standard as mentioned above by hokie...

that having been said, i mention that everyone has to become aware of their own state standards because they can be different from state to state as to how they are meeting the mandate. ex in one state regular 87 can be E0 but in the neighboring state it must be E10 etc.

attached linky to minnesota regulation and i do believe that all fuel (with the exception of those stated in clauses 10-14) must contain ethanol in Minnesota:

http://mn.gov/commerce/energy/businesses/renewable-energy/bioenergy/regulation-policy.jsp

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=239.791

My point was that the Rec-90 Wikipedia page states that non-ethanol fuel sale is illegal in Minnesota. That is incorrect. It is legal, and you've correctly pointed to the exceptions.

Everything else here is E10 and has been since 1997 statewide. 1995 year around in the Twin Cities - 20 years ago.

got it thanks.

yes the renewable fuel standard is as i always say a convoluted mess as evidenced by the wiki article.

as a consequence of the misunderstanding i don't believe that pump labeling really means anything anymore and that the only real way to find E0 is by testing

(Green is the normal color for diesel, & the nozzle would be bigger than an unleaded hole. Wonder if it is for off-road use only? If Marathon sold it here, I'd cut down a funnel to MAKE it fit & that's all I would use!) +1

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Federal mandates require E10 in cars.Its a small engine pump for gas cans.

Nope.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
every state has in essence been allowed to write their own mandate as long as they meet the federal standard as mentioned above by hokie...

that having been said, i mention that everyone has to become aware of their own state standards because they can be different from state to state as to how they are meeting the mandate. ex in one state regular 87 can be E0 but in the neighboring state it must be E10 etc.

All of which contributes markedly to the price of gasoline.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
We have Kerosene pumps around here with three foot hoses. To prevent diesel operators from avoiding taxes.

Well that would not be logical. I have never seen Kerosene as low or lower than $2.14 a gallon as the taxed diesel I bought all last week for. If you find Kerosene being sold for less than that, don't hold out! Put the word out for those that use kerosene for portable heaters and such. You will go up in everyone's estimation and have folks singing your praises.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad

All of which contributes markedly to the price of gasoline.

What contribute markedly to the price of fuel is tax. Depending on state, fuel tax at the pump can reach well into 30% or more of the price you pay. Fed tax, State tax, and even additional local fuel taxes are what price is all about. A few communities in Florida recently added their own fuel tax to the Federal and State tax already on fuel. This goes on nationwide. If anyone wants to bellyache about fuel cost, complain first to government. They contribute nothing to the drilling, refining, and delivery of the fuel and the cost to run the retail station selling it. And all of those operations have to pay taxes as well, which gets rolled into the price you pay at the pump. Yet government adds exorbitant taxes to the cost of each gallon of fuel. And then they claim it goes for infrastructure, but many studies have shown that only 60-70% of fuel taxes collected actually make it to roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back