thick thick thick grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
out of curiosity, is there a thick (wax like) grease out there ? its an experiment for a bullet lube.

lead melts at 600/650 degrees so i guess thats the threshold

I dont know of any grease that would hold up to that temp...

On a side note, your sig makes me laugh about scientific theories held on high as truth for so long, only to be reversed by some "new truth". Take the big bang theory for example.
33.gif
Very akin of when science proclaimed that the earth was flat if you ask me...
49.gif

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

On a side note, your sig makes me laugh about scientific theories held on high as truth for so long, only to be reversed by some "new truth". Take the big bang theory for example.
33.gif
49.gif

True science allows for the disproving, or modifying, of theories, when more information becomes available. That is why they are theories, not proven facts.

That is not a fault, in science......It is what makes science what it is.....A never ending search for truth.

In the context of science, "theory" doesn't mean "an unproven explanation", the way we use it in common speech. Gravity is not in any way "theoretical".

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
In the context of science, "theory" doesn't mean "an unproven explanation", the way we use it in common speech. Gravity is not in any way "theoretical".

That's actually pretty much exactly what "theory" means, caveated by the fact that its an unproven explanation based on the best available proven factual knowledge. Its a little further down the path than a raw hypothesis, but not yet fact or scientific "law."

Straight out of Webster:

the·o·ry

noun
noun: theory; plural noun: theories

a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.
"Darwin's theory of evolution"
synonyms: hypothesis, thesis, conjecture, supposition, speculation, postulation, postulate, proposition, premise, surmise, assumption, presupposition;

And of course gravity isn't a theory any more than light is a theory. But there are plenty of theories about how gravity comes to exist and the mechanism by which it has its effects.

33.gif
49.gif

Also I'm not sure that science every proclaimed that the earth was flat. Even sailors in the ancient days could see the curvature of the earth from the tops of their masts. Of course the people who didn't know anything about science were probably the ones who were declaring the earth flat.

Bentonite grease doesn't have a drop point, it is used to grease artillery, anchor chains, and conveyors that run through ovens. It can be found in NLGI #3, which is thicker than usual.

Since you seem to live in Arizona, if you happen to cross the boarder, literally ANY auto parts store will have it: Roshfrans B.A.T.-3 .
The smallest size is a 6 oz. tub for less than $2.

It is used to pack wheel bearings in Mexico, cheap insurance for the mechanic in case the driver catches his brakes on fire, with this grease the oil won't drop out of the grease and cause the wheel bearing to seize and the wheel to fall off.

Mold Grease like IMS product might work?

Specifications:
Forms Adherent Yet Slippery Film
Won't Wipe Off Through Tight Bushings
Superior Lubricity from -22 to +500 deg F
Waterproof
Anti-Corrosive
Non-Melting
Non-Silicone
Homogenized at 6000 psi
USDA H-1

Last edited:
Check out Jet-Lube AP5, it's available in quart size cans on Amazon. It's a non-melt grease and has the consistency of toothpaste. Once put on a surface it doesn't go anywhere without a fight. Contains moly and its bentone base allows for it to supposedly work up until 550F.

We spec some greases that are used in steel mills, where the bearings service rolls that handle red-hot metal. Because of the high temperatures, we recommend the grease be changed often. I'm not sure what temperatures are involved, but they quickly degrade the grease.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

33.gif
49.gif

True science allows for the disproving, or modifying, of theories, when more information becomes available. That is why they are theories, not proven facts.

That is not a fault, in science......It is what makes science what it is.....A never ending search for truth.

I can agree with all of that. What bugs me is when a mere theory gains political traction, or can be useful for political ends, and all of the sudden "the science is settled." The nerve...

That Bentonite #3 stuff sounds beastly!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
You might try John Deere Corn head grease.

That would kinda be the opposite of what he wants, corn head grease is not very thick and flows at a relatively low temp. IIRC it was designed to function more like an oil without being able to flow through a bad seal like an oil would. Basically a light grease with a low melting point.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Ethan1

That's actually pretty much exactly what "theory" means, caveated by the fact that its an unproven explanation based on the best available proven factual knowledge. Its a little further down the path than a raw hypothesis, but not yet fact or scientific "law."

Straight out of Webster:

the·o·ry

noun
noun: theory; plural noun: theories

a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.
"Darwin's theory of evolution"
synonyms: hypothesis, thesis, conjecture, supposition, speculation, postulation, postulate, proposition, premise, surmise, assumption, presupposition;

And of course gravity isn't a theory any more than light is a theory. But there are plenty of theories about how gravity comes to exist and the mechanism by which it has its effects.

Webster doesn't have it quite right. First you come up with a hypothesis. A hypothesis is a guess and the attempt to explain something. When you test your hypothesis, the gathered facts and data allow you develop a theory based on your hypothesis. Usually, when people say they have a theory, they merely have a hypothesis. Webster says theory and hypothesis are synonymous, but they are not.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

33.gif
49.gif

Also I'm not sure that science every proclaimed that the earth was flat. Even sailors in the ancient days could see the curvature of the earth from the tops of their masts. Of course the people who didn't know anything about science were probably the ones who were declaring the earth flat.
Or the climate "warming".

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
out of curiosity, is there a thick (wax like) grease out there ? its an experiment for a bullet lube.

lead melts at 600/650 degrees so i guess thats the threshold

There's plenty of accumulated knowledge on bullet lubes, try "The Cast Bullet Handbook"

Part of the issue is to provide a film on the barrel for the next one to ride down.

Bloke at work uses straight beeswax, I use lee liquid Alox (also use it on the turn stops on my Nissan to stop the graunching noise on turns)

I don't think I'd use a clay based grease inside a barrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back