bad wheel bearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or CV axle? Or something else? I suspect bearing. Lugs are tight, I checked and checked again. Also, sorry about the vertical vid but I couldn't hold my phone in correct video fashion and still maintain the wheel.

What's the condition of the tires?

Patchy wear/separated tread belts can often sound like shot wheel bearings.

sounds like tires or wheel bearings

try rotating the tires and see if the sound changes at all.

What kind of tires.. are they worn evenly?

Last edited:
They are Kumho 4x, 2012 manufacture date. They have 7000 miles since purchased on 6/13. Rotate happened only recently, but the noise began well before that. Fainter when it started. When I did the rotation, I didn't notice anything unusual with the tires.

lift the car grab suspect wheel top and bottom and try to rock it. Loose bearing will be felt instantly. try to rotate the wheel and see if the CV has play in it too...

oh, all windows are up, no fans running. You can really hear it 20 seconds in when I get onto the ramp for the Vine expressway.

Last edited:
I just went through something similar in my Mazda 3. The sound was almost identical, the wheel felt nice and tight, no play at all.

What I did to verify that it was the wheel bearing, and it will probably not sit well with the "by the book" guys we have here, is lift the side I suspected made the most noise, put the jack stand and choked two wheels on the opposite side. Then I started the car and put it in drive. I could instantly hear the bad wheel bearing. With just a little bit of gas, emphasis on little, as the the lifted up wheel will pick up speed very, very quickly, I could hear the change and almost grinding sounds the bad wheel bearing made, where the wheel should be pretty much silent with a good bearing.
Of course this will only work for the wheels receiving power.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I thought the old mechanic trick was to jack up the tire and rotate it. If you feel a vibration in the spring then you have a bad bearing.

That's my understanding, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back