This Flying Car Is Real And It Can Fly 430 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an AeroMobil car. Does it specify Mobil oil?

Interesting indeed. When I read about flying cars in Heinlein and other authors, I always pictured something more like a standard road car. But it would have to have a means of propulsion and wings, unless it were pretty much a rocket.

Can you imagine? As much as I enjoyed the idea of future flying cars from The Jetsons, Blade Runner, and The Fifth Element do you think that average drivers could handle three dimensional travel? We all see how well they handle it in two dimensions.

Another one of my childhood pipe dreams shattered.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Can you imagine? As much as I enjoyed the idea of future flying cars from The Jetsons, Blade Runner, and The Fifth Element do you think that average drivers could handle three dimensional travel? We all see how well they handle it in two dimensions.

I can imagine that dangers that selfy-ing or facebook-ing and flying could impose.

Great. Now I cant the Jetsons theme song out of my head!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

I did not understand this, until after I had been a pilot for awhile........But very many people are incapable of dealing with the third dimension. Interestingly, talking to people with this issue, they generally are not comfortable with diving under water, either. My wife is one of these people.

To make it legal the faa would have to open up to self flying cars. The problem is that the faa wants you to have your pilots license to fly the thing.

But as for 3d traveling, the main benefit is that there is so much more space. Wich is why mid air collisions happen around airports

There was a 1947 Convair flying car. The projected cost was going to be $1,500. It appears that no one was really interested in owning a terrible car that could not fly very well. It looks like the tradition continues. Engineers still want to build a flying car because they can and it will also be a terrible car that does not fly very well only these new versions will be a lot more expensive. One might want to just give up and buy a car and an airplane and be done with it. That way you can sell the car when you run out of money and still have a car.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
There was a 1947 Convair flying car. The projected cost was going to be $1,500. It appears that no one was really interested in owning a terrible car that could not fly very well. It looks like the tradition continues. Engineers still want to build a flying car because they can and it will also be a terrible car that does not fly very well only these new versions will be a lot more expensive. One might want to just give up and buy a car and an airplane and be done with it. That way you can sell the car when you run out of money and still have a car.

That Convair looks quite kludged together, as if the plane part rammed into the car part and got stuck. The AeroMobil may not be pretty, but it doesn't look like "You got airplane on my car!" "No, you got car on my airplane!"

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
There was a 1947 Convair flying car.

That reminds me of Scaramanga's flying AMC Matador in The Man with the Golden Gun. Moller has been developing a flying car for a long time.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Crashed recently:

right.

Quote:
On 8 May 2015 the AeroMobil 3.0 prototype crashed at Nitra Airport during a test flight near Janíkovce (LZNI). The aircraft entered a spin and the ballistic parachute was deployed. The pilot, Stefan Klein, was sent to hospital by ambulance compaining of back pain, but was later released. The aircraft received impact damage to the forward fuselage. The company indicated that development of the design would continue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroMobil_s.r.o._AeroMobil

Thread reminded me of this quote...

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I was promised flying cars back in the 60's.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/200528/Re:_Mobil_Patents_0w100_High_P#Post200528

Since 1917 pioneering men began chasing the dream of a flying car.
There are nearly 80 patents on file at the United States Patent and
Trademark Office for various kinds of flying cars. Some of these have
actually flown. Most have not. And all have come up short of reaching
the goal of the mass-produced flying car. The best of flying cars that
distinguished themselves from the pack:

1917 Curtiss Autoplane by Glenn Curtiss
curtiss_autoplane_3v.jpg

1937 Arrowbile by Waldo Waterman
waterman-arrowbile.jpg

1947 Airphibian by Robert Fulton
RedAirphInAir.jpg

1950 ConvAirCar by Consolidated Vultee
3928200642_4fb3dda462.jpg

1960 Aerocar by Moulton "Molt" Taylor
aerocar13.jpg

"Molt" Taylor created perhaps the most well-known and most successful
flying car to date. The Aerocar was designed to drive, fly and then
drive again without interruption. Taylor covered his car with a
fiberglass shell. A 10-foot-long (3-meter) drive shaft connected the
engine to a pusher propeller. It cruised at 120 mph (193 kph) in the
air and was the second and last roadable aircraft to receive FAA
approval. In 1970, Ford Motor Co. even considered marketing the
vehicle, but the decade's oil crisis dashed those plans

This idea gained some traction just after WWII when there were thousands of government trained pilots entering civilian life and lots of former training fields around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back