2011 Dodge GC 88k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking before taking the trek to TX from PA in my FiL's van that I should address some maintenance items.

It is reasonably well cared for but a cooling system flush and trans service especially considering the heat in TX wouldn't be a bad idea.

I thought of doing all the above myself but it technically is still under Chrysler Warranty till 100k. I don't need to give them reasons to deny something.

My thoughts:

I wouldn't bother FLUSHING the cooling system. Just a drain-and-refill should be fine. IIRC all Chrysler products were still using G-05 in 2011.

Trans service- probably not a bad idea but again- no "power flushing." Just a drain and fill with ATF+4.

They use those terms interchangeably at certain places here. I agree though, no flush on the trans just a drain & fill which considering it is ATF+4 it's synthetic anyway so it shouldn't be that bad.

The 6 speed in his van has been great except when I confuse it I guess. You either have to drive like a grandpa or full bore for it not to fall over itself on what gear to be in.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, just don't make a bunch of changes right before leaving on a trip.

A group of us were taking two cars to Hilton Head. I had a Taurus Wagon, and the other car was a Deville.

Of course, the people with the Deville took it to the Caddy dealer right before leaving, with a whole laundry list of deferred maintenance items taken care of. One was to flush and fill the coolant.

The dealer service department left air in the cooling system, and it overheated and blew a head gasket within 100 miles of leaving home.

Either do it far enough in advance that issues have time to "shake out"... or just leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back