Chevrolet Cobalt strut R & I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey.

Is this something I can do? I have replaced shock absorbers on a Dakota years back. I was looking for a back-up wrench, noone knew what is was, then a friend spared me his electric impact that freed the bolts. You see, they would just turn using hand tools.

Anyway

I want to change the shock/spring assembly.

You can get the struts out of the car easily enough, but can you get the springs off the struts? Is that what you're asking?

HF has a spring compressor you can buy for $20 or you can rent them from autozone. It's not that hard, but from the sound of your post, I'd watch a few youtubes.

If on your old strut after you've compressed the spring the top center nut gets stuck you can put a vise grips on the center tube. Or sometimes there's a hole for an allen wrench or a hex for a 5/16-- you hold the big nut with an open wrench and twist the middle one *clockwise*.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If on your old strut after you've compressed the spring the top center nut gets stuck you can put a vise grips on the center tube.

FWIW, I would not do this on reassembly though. I have in the past, with no ill effects. But in reality if you mar the center shaft, it could tear at the seals in the shock and result in a slow leak. The best method IMO is to take an impact gun and give the top nut a few quick bursts (once it is fingertight). That usually does it.

Last edited:
To get the mounts off the struts on the Neon I put a 3/8" drive socket and extension through a deep 1/2" drive socket. I had ground some flats on the 1/2" socket so I could turn the nut with the 1/2" socket and a wrench, and hold the shaft of the strut from turning with the 3/8" drive socket inside with a ratchet on the extension.

If you're changing the whole assembly, you don't need to worry about the nut on the damper itself. Remove the nuts at the top holding the mount to the tower, remove the bolts at the bottom holding the damper to the steering knuckle. Remove, reinstall.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If you get quick struts, it's very easy! However, you will need to get an alignment.

Hey I just changed them. Lining up the rod that connected to the sway bar wasnt perfect. I had to move the bolt around to get it in the mount in the strut. Also, that nut was difficult to remove on the driver's side. It just spun and I thought it was stripped, but I just grabbed behind the rubber bush with pliers and it loosened. It could be because I have no wheel well on that corner......I went off road one time and it ripped it apart and I had to remove it- so it lets some dirt, rocks, and debris get thru.

I am kind of being stingy here about an alignment but will (of course) get one if needed, but why? I have driven about 25 miles so far and the steering wheel seems ever so lightly tipped. At one point it seemed like it was pulling to the right, then I switch lanes and it is dead straight (IIRC).

Handled pretty good, still a little clunky. Braking may be reduced since I contaminated the discs- but tried cleaning them with alcohol prior to reassembly.

But why would alignment need to be changed? Could it be the parts are not exactly the same dimensions as the OEMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back