Capacitors...What Brand ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a Capacitor for my garage door opener. The original is a Packard. Are they still good or do I get a different Brand?

Flux!
57.gif
whistle.gif

For AC motor's capacitor: simply find the one that is of same microfarad and AC voltage (can be higher if possible).

Typically, it's called motor-run capacitor. Make sure you get the "AC" ones for AC motor type.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Drosselmier
I would think the same type and size would be sufficient. Packard, if you can get one.

Packard made in china lasted only a year in my AC. maybe it was a fake?

there's some NOS mallory, CDE (dubilier), GeeEee or sometimes sangamo old motor run capacitors available online (ePrey).

Some are foil, others are film in oil, or the older ones are even soggy foil type.

They are fine so long as they are built as motor-run capacitors.

I can get siemens or panasonic film motor run caps these days. I'm ok with chinese film types so long as they are made for AC motors only.

millions of AC motor run chinese film caps running out there these days, and the failure rate seems small.

Good luck on that.

Q.

I'm not sure I would want a new old stock capacitor since they have a limited life span, much like a battery.

i just replaced a start cap in my AC today. i got one with "USA" on the label. however, its shape and dimensions are identical to the failed chinese one that worked only about 1 year. the OEM Philips one was twice as fat for the same capacity. makes you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back