which brand 1911????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok got my AR itch scratched...now for a 1911. Yikes!! there are so many brands. Which one to get. I like the Ruger version 4.25" Commander but is it the best value.

Any ideas from the gallery?

I am holding out for a Sig Sauer 1911. I used to want a Kimber until the quality started slipping. Colt is always a good stand-by and Rock Island Armory is good if you are on a budget.

My friend owns a gun store with a range and they have put thousands upon thousands of cheap rounds through their rental RIA 1911 with no failures.

I've got a Para Elite and I've been happy with it. They are $599 at CDNN right now. You also can't go wrong with a Colt and they are under $800 on Buds.

Traditional .45 cal, right?

I have two Rock Islands - I think they are a terrific value on the cheap end, but the stock grips suck ( or at least they did ) and need changing out immediately.

I have a Colt WW1 Replica which is one of their custom shop guns, I think, and it looks to be a pretty decent piece at a medium price, although I haven't shot it. If I were in the market for another 1911 to shoot ( I'm not, since I have the RIA's ), I would probably just get another Colt.

We have lots of Sigs because my wife likes them ( for some reason ) but the Sig, Ruger, Kimber, etc., 1911's don't interest me very much.

1911's seem to be about like cars - there is something at every price point a person would care to spend.

So many quality choices out there. I have a little experience and found the Sig 1911 series to be pretty darn good but I have really been impressed with the S&W PC versions as well as the TI round butt. Springfield Armory TPR is awesome but very heavy. I have another ported version of the Springfield that has over 5kof WOlf cheapo thru it and it has taken a beating. Overall I found the S&W's to shine, especially for the price.

I enjoy my Kimber. Very reliable and accurate.

Sportsmans Guide is selling Taurus blems. Don't know anything about the guns.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I've got a Para Elite and I've been happy with it. They are $599 at CDNN right now. You also can't go wrong with a Colt and they are under $800 on Buds.

I was looking at those PARA 1911s. How is the fit and finish? accuracy?

What's your pricepoint and what do you plan to do with it? You can spend from $399 to $5000 on one and you can look at it, shoot paper, or carry it. You mentioned best value... totally depends on your perspective.

Kimber quality slipped years ago and sadly the CEO who did the dirty deed to Kimber is now the CEO for SIG and Sigs aren't the fine engineered guns they used to be. The best value in 1911 in todays market is the Dan Wesson Line of 1911s , forged frames and no MIM parts and assembled with care. Wilson Combat quality at a Kimber price. The next rung down and a value is the offerings from Springfield Armory. Buy a full size 1911 . Don't discount 9MM 1911s they are really nice to shoot.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
What's your pricepoint and what do you plan to do with it? You can spend from $399 to $5000 on one and you can look at it, shoot paper, or carry it. You mentioned best value... totally depends on your perspective.

This. So many options.

Doog, I have personally shot 3 different Rugers. The fit is pretty good and they all shot very well. Springfields and Colts would be a step up, from the Ruger. Stay away from the Remington. The few I looked at had some big fit issues that you shouldn't see at that price point.

If I were to buy another 1911 it would be a Ruger, Springfield or a Colt. You can't go wrong with any of those.

If you were going to go top dollar, Look at the Wilson or the Bravo Company 1911 that is built for them by Wilson Combat.

You may want to consider that Colt is on verge of bankruptcy, again. (It always seems to be, but this time the situation seems even more dire.) Ruger's CS is second to none and S&W is very good. Not sure about the others mentioned.

Originally Posted By: jkasch
You may want to consider that Colt is on verge of bankruptcy, again. (It always seems to be, but this time the situation seems even more dire.)

Colt isn't going anywhere as long as they've got the government pumping money into it. As a company they couldn't make money if they printed it.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Doog, I have personally shot 3 different Rugers. The fit is pretty good and they all shot very well. Springfields and Colts would be a step up, from the Ruger. Stay away from the Remington. The few I looked at had some big fit issues that you shouldn't see at that price point.

I own and shoot both the Remington as well as the Ruger.... And quite a few others. Of the 2 the Remington is the more accurate and better shooting of the 2.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I enjoy my Kimber. Very reliable and accurate.

Sportsmans Guide is selling Taurus blems. Don't know anything about the guns.

Friends don't let friends buy a Taurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back