Teacher suspended for jamming cell phones in class

Status
Not open for further replies.
The teacher should let the Unions fight the Feds - all they have to do is claim "academic freedom" and that's the magic trump card! By doing so, they're saying you're hampering their ability to teach...and the Union thugs and probably Union lawyers will ride in on their White Horses to the teachers defense!

Ed

Jamming cell phones are a violation of FCC rules.You cannot broadcast on that band.A church tried once and got spanked for it.

This is exactly how stupid everything has become. Why should students be allowed to use cellphones or smartphones in class? They are supposed to be paying attention in class and learning-right? How can they learn anything if they are busy texting to their friends?

And what happened to the rights of teachers to have discipline in class?

I think there is a huge need for non-state supported charter schools where goofy federal and state school regulations don't have to be followed and there can be measures taken such as no cellphones or smartphones in classrooms.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Jamming cell phones are a violation of FCC rules.You cannot broadcast on that band.A church tried once and got spanked for it.

This is the issue and is totally legitimate.

Cell phones are an annoying in the work place, schools and a lot of other places. I had a guy that would paint with one hand talk on the cell phone with the other. It got to the point where a customer commented to me about it. I use the three strikes and your out system, that comment was strike three. The phone cost him his job.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Originally Posted By: totegoat
Why are cells allowed in class at all?

Because not everyone is a bitter old hag like you that hates younger generations having any enjoyment from new technology.

There is a time and a place for everything. Cell phones do NOT belong on, in class. Jamming is illegal, but confiscation would be reasonable, and not subject to Federal rules.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Why are cells allowed in class at all?

Exactly, during class there should be NOTHING that allows for distraction like unneeded electronics, ect.

The teacher just went about the issue the wrong way, he should have asked the principal to inform students that during his class all phones and or computer and communication devices be left outside the class room perhaps at the office. If a student is found with a cell phone on him in that class suspend him or give them after school detention for a few days.

I don't know how you can learn in a classroom with these distractions.

Unless you're Batman of course.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

This is the issue and is totally legitimate.

+2. The FCC does not take malicious interference lightly. While I don't think the kids should be using their phones in class, that's not the right way to deal with it.

I don't like to listen to susie q's marital problems while she chatts someone up on her cell phone.Or her kid's [censored] teacher or coach, her beautician that the doesn't listen,her sex life or having to clean up cat barf. Especially in a crowded supermarket or restaurant where there is no escape. Give us a break, keep your private conversations private. Don't open your mouth and let us know how big of an idiot you are.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I don't like to listen to susie q's marital problems while she chatts someone up on her cell phone.Or her kid's [censored] teacher or coach, her beautician that the doesn't listen,her sex life or having to clean up cat barf. Especially in a crowded supermarket or restaurant where there is no escape. Give us a break, keep your private conversations private. Don't open your mouth and let us know how big of an idiot you are.

This times a million! Especially when they're wearing one of those dumb [censored] earpiece things that makes them look like they're paranoid schizophrenics talking to themselves. I always point and laugh at them.

Parents are the key factor in a child's education both directly and indirectly in how they support the school.

What their attitude to cell phones in the class is will be most telling.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje

This times a million! Especially when they're wearing one of those dumb [censored] earpiece things that makes them look like they're paranoid schizophrenics talking to themselves. I always point and laugh at them.

Yep, these people want to feel important and do this nonsense to attract attention even if it is the negative type. Usually I will just give a slight glare and or a facial expression that they smell bad.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Mystic

I think there is a huge need for non-state supported charter schools where goofy federal and state school regulations don't have to be followed and there can be measures taken such as no cellphones or smartphones in classrooms.

thumbsup2.gif
For sure!

Originally Posted By: Mystic
This is exactly how stupid everything has become. Why should students be allowed to use cellphones or smartphones in class? They are supposed to be paying attention in class and learning-right? How can they learn anything if they are busy texting to their friends?

And what happened to the rights of teachers to have discipline in class?

I am with you 100%. Don't forget they can use their phones to cheat and look up answers too.

Cell phones have NO place in school( for students ). While the teacher was wrong( technically )due to the law he was 100% right in stopping their use in class.

Students should not be allowed to bring them onto school property. If they do, they need to be left in their lockers or the principal's office. They should not, at any time during the day, be allowed to use them on school property.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back