Amsoil SS 5w30, 8K, 04 Chevy Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
also that is "normal service" Amsoil states 15k miles for "severe sevice". The OP stated that this vehicle is a short tripper so it is definitely severe service.

A TBN of 3.1 isn't terribly low. If this engine needed any top up at all before 15k miles im betting it would probably make it there. TBN isn't linear.

I hate it when people bash products because it isn't their favorite brand. The fact is this is a severe service vehicle and im sure none of the majors would have provided more TBN retention. 8k+ miles of 2-3 mile trips is a lot of cold starts and shutdowns which is hard on oil and generates more wear than a highway queen

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jk_636
What a worthless company that would charge so much $$$ for oil that cant retain its add pack past a couple thousand miles...

It's an AMERICAN OIL! You should be proud of it!

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: jk_636
I have seen a lot of vehicles that are short tripped and driven like a bat out of heck, but that severe drop in TBN over some of those intervals (as low as 3k miles) is unforgiveable! I am surprised you have stuck with Amsoil. Why not go for an oil with better TBN retention??

What a worthless post from someone whom does not understand TBN retention.

....pure and simple, TBN depletion is NOT linear and It seems that many of the posters have forgotten that.

Looks like a good report to me dhellman12.... Curious about the spike in iron a few changes back - winter? How far do you plan to take the next run?

Last edited:
I must add that not only is TBN retention not linear, but the actual TBN number doesn't show the whole picture of what is going on. There is more to it than we think, just like a Used Oil Analysis doesn't really show us what is going on in the engine. Results are what matters.

Amsoil has been dropping since the late 1980 and early 90s. When Amatuzios special oil came out at a really high price. . That is when they started adding Vi to their car oils. That is when I stopped using them and realized oil is pretty much oil . I went back to M1 and GP2+ oils with great success.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
Show us how you think Amsoil has been dropping since the 1980's? Show us some hard evidence.

Hard evidence?
Any evidence would be unlikely.

Amsoil produces a top quality product. Only a fool tries to imply otherwise.

Amsoil has unlikely dropped at all. It's more like that many others have had to play catch up over the years, particularly those oils meeting only basic specs. Few would turn their noses up at a modern SN/GF-5 dexos1 type oil these days, yet many years back, the API specs certainly had their weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back