05 Tacoma auto tranny filter - Replace or clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready for my 2nd flush (130k mi) of the auto tranny in my 05 Tacoma. I did not drop the pan on the first flush (65k). I understand the filter is a metal screen, so can it be cleaned or should it be replaced? I cleaning is an option, what solution would you recommend? Thanks!

Myself, I would never do a flush. I would do a pan drop and clean the filter. If it was really dirty, I would repeat the process a short time later.

Last edited:
If it's like the earlier Aisin Warner trannies a pan drop is an undertaking, with dipstick tubes being precarious to unbolt and get back together without screwing up o-rings and causing leaks.

If you have a drain plug, certainly use that over splicing into the cooler lines.

If the filter is similar to the filter in my 98 Sienna you can only get that Grey film off the outside of the filter. You wont be able to fully clean the inside of the filter. I would get a replacement filter, they are cheap enough.

Cleaning the pan is the way to go also.

Last edited:
If it has the A750E or F, it will have a traditional semi-flat style metal filter with O-ring seal, held by 4 small bolts (torque is 7 ft/lb) I uncrimped the seam on mine to inspect some time back and did not find anything worth mentioning. It will have an extremely fine mesh layer as the filter. You will probably find a grey film covering the inside of the pan and filter body with 4 magnets on the pan bottom. If you do drop the pan, get a Toyota pan gasket, cost a little more but worth it. (Pan bolt torque is 39 inch/lb.) Perfect time to do a cooler return line fluid change (if that's what you mean by flush) I am from the school that removing the pan, cleaning the crud and clutch residue out is good preventative maintenance. Over time, debris and grit can't do anything good inside your tranny.

Send me a PM with contact info and I can email pic's of what you will find when you open that thing up.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I did the exact same job yesterday. Over 200k and nothing in the screen.major pain to refill! No dipstick,waiting for the trans temp light etc

Definitely takes time to complete but well worth it.

Originally Posted By: 86cutlass307
If it has the A750E or F, it will have a traditional semi-flat style metal filter with O-ring seal, held by 4 small bolts (torque is 7 ft/lb) I uncrimped the seam on mine to inspect some time back and did not find anything worth mentioning. It will have an extremely fine mesh layer as the filter. You will probably find a grey film covering the inside of the pan and filter body with 4 magnets on the pan bottom. If you do drop the pan, get a Toyota pan gasket, cost a little more but worth it. (Pan bolt torque is 39 inch/lb.) Perfect time to do a cooler return line fluid change (if that's what you mean by flush) I am from the school that removing the pan, cleaning the crud and clutch residue out is good preventative maintenance. Over time, debris and grit can't do anything good inside your tranny.

Send me a PM with contact info and I can email pic's of what you will find when you open that thing up.

That's the method I use. PM sent

Thanks for the pics. You mentioned going with the Toyota gasket, did you also buy the Toyota filter or aftermarket?

Last edited:
Dont touch is my recommendation, now clean the pan and magnets clean and put new magnets and call it a day. The so-called filters are screens and not filters, meaning they are not to be replaced and do nothing more than prevent chucks of metal from getting into the VB.

Originally Posted By: Back40

Thanks for the pics. You mentioned going with the Toyota gasket, did you also buy the Toyota filter or aftermarket?

I used an aftermarket filter, Toyota contracts their production out then jacks the price sky high on their filter. The filters available seem to all be the same, a very fine mesh to catch debris. My sister has a Rav4 and some of the available filters for those are the paper/felt type media, I read about some problems with that type though.

My son in law has an '07 4Runner with the same tranny, he purchased an aftermarket kit and the gasket was rubber. It's just my preference, but I don't like the rubber gaskets. Too likely to deform and easy to overtorque and deform the pan rail and leak. I had a spare OEM gasket so we tossed the rubber gasket. I made 3 passes with the torque wrench when tightening the pan bolts to stabilize the torque and all is well on my truck and his 4Runner.

Originally Posted By: Back40

I used an aftermarket filter, Toyota contracts their production out then jacks the price sky high on their filter. The filters available seem to all be the same, a very fine mesh to catch debris. My sister has a Rav4 and some of the available filters for those are the paper/felt type media, I read about some problems with that type though.

My son in law has an '07 4Runner with the same tranny, he purchased an aftermarket kit and the gasket was rubber. It's just my preference, but I don't like the rubber gaskets. Too likely to deform and easy to overtorque and deform the pan rail and leak. I had a spare OEM gasket so we tossed the rubber gasket. I made 3 passes with the torque wrench when tightening the pan bolts to stabilize the torque and all is well on my truck and his 4Runner.

How do I determine what type auto tranny my truck has?(750A, E?) I do not see anything in the owner's manual or Haynes Manual regarding the Transmission Model.

Last edited:
Toyota puts the trans model onto the driver door jamb, where the gvwr is. I think it is preceded by "A/TM" and then trans model.

Originally Posted By: supton
Toyota puts the trans model onto the driver door jamb, where the gvwr is. I think it is preceded by "A/TM" and then trans model.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back