add 2cycle to gas tank to prevent rust in tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 89 Toyota 1 ton truck that I have not driven in 1 year plus, I read online that these trucks are prone to tank rust,
I filled the tank with fresh gas before storing.

Should I add a few CC of amsoil synthetic 2 cycle to help retard the rust formation in the tank?

Lucas Fuel System Treatment will to the same thing, but probably little else. I use it in my bike tanks. I seems to lube carb floats and keep them from sticking.

Last edited:
Are you about to drive it? Did you fill it with E0 or E10 gas? With no stabilizer the gas is probably not in great shape. Pump out the gas and see how it looks, does it look rusty? Refill with fresh gas. Get an extra fuel filter.

If its full it isn't going to rust from the inside. Yes some stabilizer is a good idea if it will be sitting for a while.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Are you about to drive it? Did you fill it with E0 or E10 gas? With no stabilizer the gas is probably not in great shape. Pump out the gas and see how it looks, does it look rusty? Refill with fresh gas. Get an extra fuel filter.

probably e10,
I will use it up and put in fresh gas with stabilizer
yeah, once I am done with reno on the camper a new fuel filter is going in.

If you have E0 in your area, use it to avoid attracting moisture in due to the ethanol. 1oz per 5 gallons is a good starting point for adding TCW3 two stroke oil to the fuel. It lubes the pump and carb and will fight corrosion. Also add stabilizer if it will be stored.

This is a 22R I am guessing, good engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back