2014 Harley Davidson 103B - 511mi - M1 V-Twin (2489mi total)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil remains in service.
Reminder, oil was changed at 999 and 1978mi.

Runs 1 and 2 were Factory Fill - HD360
Runs 3 and 4 were SYN3

Harley2489.jpg

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
500 mile OCI??? Somebody has got more money than sense!!!!!!!!!

Slow down, and read the post... and you will see a note saying OIL REMAINS IN SERVICE...

Now you can say sorry...

Thanks once again for posting Duckrider. This has been invaluable to me running the same bike, I think. 14 RK.
I have noticed I caught up to you and surpassed you on riding time *L* Soon will be up to my 5000 mile service requirement, have to review it and decide dealer or myself.

Anyway, just past 1000 mile on the Mystik JT8, thinking (may or may not,yet) of sending it in for a UOA more so since its an "unknown" oil. When you take a sample, do you just unscrew the oil plug get the sample and then screw it back in real fast?
Or do you use something to get some out of the dipstick area?
I do not want to do a full change yet, then again, if I put on another 1000 miles real fast ...

Thanks again for posting these UOAs/VOAs, Ill really have something to compare to, of course results will always be different, as are the riders, conditions, etc but good way to compare the overall oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
500 mile OCI??? Somebody has got more money than sense!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of no sense.

Tell you what cupcake, why don't you just refrain from replying to my post in the future.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Thanks once again for posting Duckrider.

You're welcome.

This has been invaluable to me running the same bike, I think. 14 RK.

It is a Softail, Still it should produce similar data, Blackstone said they did not see appreciable differences in the between versions of the TC103.

I have noticed I caught up to you and surpassed you on riding time *L* Soon will be up to my 5000 mile service requirement, have to review it and decide dealer or myself.

I travel quite a bit during the riding season and can't take the bike, so it is no surprise that you surpassed me.

Anyway, just past 1000 mile on the Mystik JT8, thinking (may or may not,yet) of sending it in for a UOA more so since its an "unknown" oil. When you take a sample, do you just unscrew the oil plug get the sample and then screw it back in real fast?
I do not want to do a full change yet, then again, if I put on another 1000 miles real fast ...

I use a Blackstone pump to pull it out of the oil tank. I think it would be pretty hard to pull the drain plug and catch a quality sample without losing a good bit of oil and making a reasonably sized mess... The Blackstone pump is not expensive and I think Amsoil also sells a similar one.

Thanks again for posting these UOAs/VOAs, Ill really have something to compare to, of course results will always be different, as are the riders, conditions, etc but good way to compare the overall oil.

I post these for exactly that reason, I also find the trending interesting, particularly in the case of this new engine.

I'm glad someone appreciates it, owing to the quality of replies and pedantic nature in general of the population around here lately I considered not posting it at all. Taking into consideration our friend above, I might just save myself the trouble from now on...

This has been invaluable to me running the same bike, I think. 14 RK.

It is a Softail, Still it should produce similar data, Blackstone said they did not see appreciable differences in the between versions of the TC103.

I travel quite a bit during the riding season and can't take the bike, so it is no surprise that you surpassed me.

I use a Blackstone pump to pull it out of the oil tank. I think it would be pretty hard to pull the drain plug and catch a quality sample without losing a good bit of oil and making a reasonably sized mess... The Blackstone pump is not expensive and I think Amsoil also sells a similar one.

I post these for exactly that reason, I also find the trending interesting, particularly in the case of this new engine.

I'm glad someone appreciates it, owing to the quality of replies and pedantic nature in general of the population around here lately I considered not posting it at all. Taking into consideration our friend above, I might just save myself the trouble from now on... [/quote]

Ah, Softale, Im sure results would be the similar, its a TC103 no matter what, the Rk one might be a little more stressed, I think the cams are different? .

I know about work and limited riding time, last two years were overwhelming, this year Im actually happy things are a bit lighter/more normal. I was quite surprised how fast the odometer was piling on mileage the last month or so.
Still looking forward to some longer trips, at some point this summer and still working way to much. I guess a good thing, for now. Got a kid up at Clemson, one more year to go.

Good god, have NO idea what I was thinking regarding taking a sample of oil. Just wasnt thinking as I only did during changes, and even during changes now, its so simple to take a sample from the dipstick, heck I can look down it on my bike and see the oil there. *L* Thanks.

Im am, for lack of better words, concerned (and why I want to take a mid change sample) about using this no name (almost) Mystik JT8 diesel oil. Yet, not so concerned because I used it, its something I would not normally do on a prized possession no less! I guess lack of information and why I want to test it, its still made by a reputable company Citgo which makes Harleys formula as well as a large company. I choose this oil NOT because of cost, could have used one of my favorite motorcycle oils for less, just wanted to be different and try an actual 15/50 semi diesel oil, which is hard to find in the USA. We will see. I know it will be fine, though the engine still is breaking in, so the report will not be glowing great.
I can say, the engine sounds fantastic with it, no different then with the conv. 20/50 HD 360. Still I know, quiet doesnt mean it is good but it makes me feel good as I wonder about this oil*L*
Im going to try to remember to pull a sample this weekend/

AS far as other posters comments, after years and years, different bike forums, etc, Im getting better at not wasting my time on the ones, who on a regular basis have nothing constructive to add, however if its no longer a fun thing for someone to do, then thats a whole other story.
I just printed your UOA looking forward to comparing.

Last edited:
Sent a sample to Blackstone of the Mystik JT8 15/50. Used the through the dipstick method to take a sample. Think it was 1,240 miles so far. Will be the first sample on the new bike (now 4300 miles), should have results by 6/15. Looking forward to comparing it against all your samples.
As I said hope I dont regret using this oil. Was just trying to stick to HDs script. Engine sure sounds great but that doesnt mean anything. Will admit though, engine still breaking in and will have a small amount of the old oil slightly skewing things. just hoping to come out somewhere around your numbers and not a disaster.

Not sure how much it matters but that is one beefy oil, Mobile 1 VTwin. Depending on results, I may get that Mystik right out of there and switch, keep it in and use it again for the next change (2 gal container) or throw it in the garbage. *L* We will see.

Last edited:
Duckryder, I think you are wasting a lot of money but you can spend it anyway you want. A while back I posted an analysis of V-Twin with 3k miles in 1 year. It was in excellent shape and they said to go 5k with no problem. This was a 11 Ultra Ltd. 103. It was from 2-5000 on the odometer. I had changed the oil twice before that run. Currently I've got a 14 Ltd with 2k on it. I've only had the 1000 mile service and they overfilled it. Ive siphoned some off but may just dump it and put some syn in it. My oil temp in the tank runs in the 230's and this bike has the liquid cooling. This is hotter than any Harley I've ever had so want to go with synthetic.

Sent a sample to Blackstone of the Mystik JT8 15/50. Used the through the dipstick method to take a sample. Think it was 1,240 miles so far. Will be the first sample on the new bike (now 4300 miles), should have results by 6/15. Looking forward to comparing it against all your samples.

Be interesting to see. I doubt that it will be a disaster as I've said I don't really think this stuff matters too much and long as it isn't some completely unknown off brand and is changed at reasonable intervals.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Duckryder, I think you are wasting a lot of money but you can spend it anyway you want. ...

Wastin' money is my middle name... I waste it on motorcycles, cars, guns, computers, dinners out and all sorts of frivolity... where wasting money is concerned some $25.00 UOA's are WAY down the list of concerns...
grin.gif

All kidding aside I have no concerns about how the oil will perform, what I wanted to see with this series is how the "break in" went and how the oil change(s) impacted it. I know the V-Twin will do the 5000 mile HD recommended interval with no problem and I intend to stick with their 12/5000 interval at least through the warranty period, after that we will see.

Wastin' money is my middle name... I waste it on motorcycles, cars, guns, computers, dinners out and all sorts of frivolity... where wasting money is concerned some $25.00 UOA's are WAY down the list of concerns
I'm with you there. Mid life crisis are fun. I have always changed the oil in my new vehicles 500-1000 miles because if you look at the drained oil in the sun, you can see all kinds of metal.

Im not to concerned about the Mystik 15/50, just apprehensive, of all vehicles, the most expensive motorcycle I ever bought ... *L* Even though, it does meet/exceed Harleys "Ch4" requirement. Being its not a known brand is what is driving me nuts, then again, being a Citgo product is the same company that makes the respectable Harley oil. Citgo does make a diesel 20/50, its on their website but I dont think sold in the USA. I cant find it sold anyplace on line. Citgo Citgard 500 20/50

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: loneryder
Wastin' money is my middle name... I waste it on motorcycles, cars, guns, computers, dinners out and all sorts of frivolity... where wasting money is concerned some $25.00 UOA's are WAY down the list of concerns
I'm with you there. Mid life crisis are fun. I have always changed the oil in my new vehicles 500-1000 miles because if you look at the drained oil in the sun, you can see all kinds of metal.

Got to agree with you and Robert on this one. I actually enjoy changing oil on the bike, I used to on the cars but then I got into bikes *L* I change a 2 to 3 times a year anywhere from 2000 to 3500 miles. Wasting money ... yup, $25 isnt a blip in my spending habits.

Last edited:
As I said hope I dont regret using this oil. Was just trying to stick to HDs script. Engine sure sounds great but that doesnt mean anything. Will admit though, engine still breaking in and will have a small amount of the old oil slightly skewing things. just hoping to come out somewhere around your numbers and not a disaster.

Not sure how much it matters but that is one beefy oil, Mobile 1 VTwin. Depending on results, I may get that Mystik right out of there and switch, keep it in and use it again for the next change (2 gal container) or throw it in the garbage. *L* We will see.

Thank you to you and Duckryder. You guys are doing an extreme value to bobistheoilguy and its members. I also applaud your cool headedness when challenged by people being mean spirited.

Especially looking forward to the UOA on the Mystik 15w50 as that is what I have been useing the last two fills. Have been in sturgis during bike week with this oil and didn't notice anything different then when I went other years with Amsoil motorcycle oil.

Originally Posted By: pwr2tow

Thank you to you and Duckryder. You guys are doing an extreme value to bobistheoilguy and its members. I also applaud your cool headedness when challenged by people being mean spirited.

Especially looking forward to the UOA on the Mystik 15w50 as that is what I have been useing the last two fills. Have been in sturgis during bike week with this oil and didn't notice anything different then when I went other years with Amsoil motorcycle oil.

I'm using rotella t 15w-40 in the primary and engine of my harley. I've got an S&S 106 big bore kit,tw6-6 cams,milled the heads when they were ported and have manual compression releases. Starter won't turn the engine over without pushing them in.
Stock clutch. Bigger tb,power commander V for tuning. Bike had 106hp/115tq.
at 2200 rpm. I have a jagg 10 row oil cooler as well as a pair of cooling fans made by a harley forum member named fabrik8tor.
The fans are placed in front of the heads. They bolt to the horn mount.
In traffic and when moving slow I run the fans. I used to see oil temps of 280f. Now 230f is as high as my dipstick temp gauge reads when stopped in traffic.
Mine is dynotuned and runs lean when highway cruising. When I inpected the piston crowns in May they were clean. 25000 miles on the upgraded engine,35000 miles total.
As long as oil temps are controlled and kept low I have no need for a synthetic. I change my oil at 3000 miles. Syn was a waste for me because at most I'd run 5000 miles and that's a waste of synthetic oil and money running such a short interval.
My bike has a harley badge but it's got more S&S parts than harley in the engine now.
Don't the baggers come with a 6 row oil cooler?
And do yourself a favour and buy those fan sets from fabrik8tor. Best fans money can buy and I saw oil temps drop 60f in traffic.
On the highway if I pull over from 70mph oil temps are under 210f.
Fabrik8tor matched my paint perfectly. Mines denim black.
I'm not sure where he sources his paints but he's managed to match most harley colours.
My fans are manually switched,not thermostatically controlled. I'm not sure if he's got automatic ones yet. He's a pretty smart guy so he might.

Sure thing and thanks for this post pwr2tow, I was hoping to have the results on the Mystik JT8 15/50 back by Friday 6-12 but looks like it wont be until Monday or Tuesday now as the weekend is here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

I'm using rotella t 15w-40 in the primary and engine of my harley. I've got an S&S 106 big bore kit,tw6-6 cams,milled the heads when they were ported and have manual compression releases. Starter won't turn the engine over without pushing them in.
Stock clutch. Bigger tb,power commander V for tuning. Bike had 106hp/115tq.
at 2200 rpm. I have a jagg 10 row oil cooler as well as a pair of cooling fans made by a harley forum member named fabrik8tor.
The fans are placed in front of the heads. They bolt to the horn mount.
In traffic and when moving slow I run the fans. I used to see oil temps of 280f. Now 230f is as high as my dipstick temp gauge reads when stopped in traffic.
Mine is dynotuned and runs lean when highway cruising. When I inpected the piston crowns in May they were clean. 25000 miles on the upgraded engine,35000 miles total.
As long as oil temps are controlled and kept low I have no need for a synthetic. I change my oil at 3000 miles. Syn was a waste for me because at most I'd run 5000 miles and that's a waste of synthetic oil and money running such a short interval.
My bike has a harley badge but it's got more S&S parts than harley in the engine now.
Don't the baggers come with a 6 row oil cooler?
And do yourself a favour and buy those fan sets from fabrik8tor. Best fans money can buy and I saw oil temps drop 60f in traffic.
On the highway if I pull over from 70mph oil temps are under 210f.
Fabrik8tor matched my paint perfectly. Mines denim black.
I'm not sure where he sources his paints but he's managed to match most harley colours.
My fans are manually switched,not thermostatically controlled. I'm not sure if he's got automatic ones yet. He's a pretty smart guy so he might.

I have the same fans on my 2011 FLHP with the manual switch also. I turn them on when I get stuck in traffic, and when I pull the garage I leave them on for a minute after the bike is shut down to help dissipate the heat from the heads. Can't tell you my oil temps but I have not had the bike go into parade mode since I mounted them. They work great. For oil I use a mixture of VR1 dino and synthetic because I bought them on sale.

Last edited:
DuckRyder,
Thanks for posting UOAs. From the VOAs and UOA I've seen of HD oils and M1 v-twin oil I choose M1 v-twin 20W-50 for my 2009 Lowrider. Reason being is I like the additive pack in the M1.

Also, concerning the $25.00 UOAs. Alot of times the same people that think your wasting money will also want to know the results. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back