Bought First Smart Phones Today !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My older daughter needs a smart phone so that she can charge her customers credit cards for her works. My younger daughter will graduate in about 10 days to 2 weeks, she likes smart phone too. My wife jump in the wagon and like to have one herself. So I decide to upgrade my dumb phone to smart one too.

We have family plan with 700 minutes talk and unlimited text with Verizon for many years. Upgrading to unlimited talk and text plus 10GB data plan will cost me an extra $65/mo(after 20% discount). With Verizon Edge for 3 Apple iPhone 6's and 1 Samsung Galaxy Core Prime the cost is another $60. So the total extra cost above the current family plan for 4 cell phones is about $100-110, from $100 to about $200-210. All I paid today is sale tax of 8% for 4 phones at around $160.

Never had smart phone before, don't know the capacity of smart phone. I hear that these are above the dumb/basic phone:
GPS
Internet(Google map plus email plus ...)
Something else ?

$200-210 for 4 smart phones a month isn't bad, considering that I don't have to pay for the phones, and the plan Edge roll over the monthly phone cost($18 for iPhone 6 and $7 for Samsung) but with $25 discount per month from $40 access per line to $15. After 24 months my monthly cost will reduced by about $60 to around $140-150.

Which website(s) should I signup to learn how to use my smart phone ?

Should I get Screen Protectors, Cases for the phones ? Verizon tried to sell more than $20 for screen protector and more than $25 for the case.

Life proof makes a decent case. I think its worthwhile getting it since it protects the phone pretty well and if you want to upgrade later you can sell the phone on craigslist and it will be in perfect condition.

Oh man. You are in trouble now. Your daughters will have the things glued to their palms. You will never ever be the same either.

We have Otter boxes for ours so that when, not if, they are dropped on hard surfaces the phone does not break.

Your girls will pick out their own cases, etc. Just be ready to pay for them.

My wife and I have a rule that while we are eating or out at a restaurant we do not look at and acknowledge the things.

They are great and I enjoy mine but they do take over some peoples total time.

Good luck and learn it. Has many great uses.

Most smart phone use Gorilla glass (Corning I think) and if thats the case, then a screen protector is not needed. A case is always a good idea. Otterbox makes good protective cases.

I would play around with the phone and ask others who have an IPhone or Android as the case may be. You will quickly learn what is important to you.

Believe me you are paying for the phones.

I feel a better deal is to pay cash or installment for the phone and get no contract service.

Best deal is a Blackberry I have for work. Free for me, but I pretty much need to have it nearby 24x7.

me being in the tech world. i love Linux, (Android) but as far as a phone goes, get the apple. better battery life and software all around.
as for screen protectors, the best case is an otterbox. i don't use any "protectors" on mine and it's fine after 2 years. but i'm careful with mine.
as for signing up to learn something, just start using it. why pay extra?

$210 for plans including 10gb of data is a good deal. We are paying that much in our area for 4gb with a significant corporate discount.

As for cases, what do you need protection from? In our house we like the "Mpero Flex S" cases. Light and slim but offer adequate protection from daily bumps and scratches. Has saved my HTC from multiple chest-height falls onto concrete.

Comparing your plan to what would be available from my provider:
Ultimate 70 Plan + 3 phones (2-year contract)
Note: all features per phone.
Monthly Cost $220
All features Nation-wide except long distance which is North America-wide

Daytime Minutes: Unlimited
Long Distance: 150 Minutes
Evening + Weekend: Unlimited
Cell-to-Cell: Unlimited to any phone with this provider
Text, Picture, Video: Unlimited
Data: 10GB
Call Display
Call Waiting
Call Transfer
3-Way Calling

Don't buy accessories at the provider's store; try Amazon.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Within minutes I have some great suggestions. I knew I can count on you guys to advices/suggestions on these things from your own experiences.

I told my wife and daughters that don't watch movie or any Youtube video on their phone, because we have only 10 GB that 4 phones share. Also, never use the phone while driving. If they get lost then they have to stop the car in a safe parking lot to use the Google map and/or GPS. Virtually, don't use cell phone for anything while driving, except my older daughter with 2014 Accord has bluetooth so she can talk while driving, but no texting.

I like to learn the capabilities of the Samsung and iPhone, I have no idea where to start. I hear about the "Apps", what is it and how to use it ?

Last edited:
Don't worry about apps ... ask your daughters in about a week to get you up to speed.

But you will probably want to check out:
A car maintenance app
Definitely get GasBuddy and have your children/wife get it as well

Too many apps can slow down your phone, be selective.

Last edited:
That doesn't sound bad. That said, the pricing on the phones doesn't sound right. I'd suspect they will hit you with some added fees in upcoming bills. If not, great!!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Thanks guys. Within minutes I have some great suggestions. I knew I can count on you guys to advices/suggestions on these things from your own experiences.

I told my wife and daughters that don't watch movie or any Youtube video on their phone, because we have only 10 GB that 4 phones share. Also, never use the phone while driving. If they get lost then they have to stop the car in a safe parking lot to use the Google map and/or GPS. Virtually, don't use cell phone for anything while driving, except my older daughter with 2014 Accord has bluetooth so she can talk while driving, but no texting.

I like to learn the capabilities of the Samsung and iPhone, I have no idea where to start. I hear about the "Apps", what is it and how to use it ?

Neither my wife nor I are data hogs, but I like to stream music from Slacker, surf the internet when I'm bored, and watch the occasional video. 2GB is more than enough for us, with an HTC ONE (M7) and Apple 5S. Considering you and your wife may not use much at all, your daughters may be able to do pretty much anything they want and still stay within the limits.

With that said, my parents had enabled on their phones TONS of [censored] that killed their battery (and probably ate up data.) They like having smart phones, but have zero clue how to actually use them, so almost every single feature and app was active when I checked. I turned off GPS, bluetooth and exited a bunch of apps that weren't needed 24/7 and, before I left, they asked me to turn them all back on, because they couldn't figure out how to turn things back on.

My point? Figure out how to use the phone, otherwise, it may be an expensive, more-complicated version of what you already had, which may provide a poor user experience.

I like Otter Box for my Iphone. Lost my first Iphone due to moisture getting into charging area. Bricked the phone. Fortunately Apple replaced it for free. Same thing happened to a friend with an Iphone 4S. Now she has to pay ATT monthly for a 5s replacement phone. She has the Lifeproof case due to using phone around water. Cheap insurance if you have to pay for a replacement phone. Lesson learned.

I have the Otter Box Commuter. It has a plug to ensure water does not get into charging area but nothing to protect the screen.

My stepfather gave me his Iphone the day after he ran it through the dryer. The Otterbox Defender case was totally destroyed, but the phone was perfect. I did not like that case, too bulky for my needs. But it did live up to it's name.

Personally, never cared for those films you apply to the screen. Tend to get bubbles or just makes things look off/not clear. But everyone has there own preferences.

The iPhone 6 is awesome. I love mine. But in no way does it get better battery life than many galaxy s4 did. My second favorite phone.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That doesn't sound bad. That said, the pricing on the phones doesn't sound right. I'd suspect they will hit you with some added fees in upcoming bills. If not, great!!

The pricing includes monthly installments on each phone. On edge you are basically paying for the phone monthly for a year. After that you may upgrade. you may also pay off the total of the phone at anytime and upgrade.

Basically the edge plan finances the phone for a year rather than paying $199.00 upfront and signing a 2 year agreement.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I told my wife and daughters that don't watch movie or any Youtube video on their phone, because we have only 10 GB that 4 phones share.

Make sure you setup the Wifi at home and turn off your data when you are home. That way they can use the wifi at home and not chew up your 10GB limit.

On Android phones you can set the data limit. I'm sure Apple must have something similar so that you don't accidentally go over on data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back