2012 Mazdaspeed3, Rotella T6 5W-40, 5000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot to post this report when I got it back a couple months ago. Local advises me not to run 7500 as our engines have a tendency to sludge. Not sure I believe it. I think I'll try 7500 anyway.

05fd3347-a2c7-4a9b-a32a-138ba3681053.png

Changed cam driven fuel pump internals, most likely source of excessive fuel but will keep an eye on it as a local has also had the same problem with the same brand of internals.

good wear numbers despite the fuel dilution.

what was the previous oci oil?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
So why are you using a 40 grade in a 2012 Mazda?

looks like it was a 30grade at 5000miles.

its also a high strung turbo engine.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
So why are you using a 40 grade in a 2012 Mazda?

My guess is he drives the car hard and the oil temps get elevated. Couple that with custom tuning which can lead to elevated fuel dilution and a 40 grade doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I'd say 7500 would be just fine. With any top tier syn. no conventional. There really isn't much fuel in the oil either. many engines run many many miles with even more than that. I wonder if you are right about the fuel or you have just been driving it different.

I purchased my MS3 new on July 14, 2007. From 5,000 miles to 69,000 miles I ran a 5,000 mile OCI using M1 5W-30. At 69,000 miles I extended the OCI to 7,500 miles(still using M1 5W-30) and at 115,000 miles I switched to M1 EP 5W-30. Engine mods are a Mazdaspeed CAI and a Hypertech tune. I have a UOA performed at every change; here are Blackstone Lab's comments at 146,000 miles:

Quote:

We'd tell you this is another great sample from your MS3 (which it is), but that's old news for this engine. This is the 20th report for this engine, so you've got some very solid unit/location averages established for this motor, and this report is only adding to the good numbers displayed in that column. Basically, we're really just trying to tell you how good this report is in a way that you might not have heard before. Keep up the good work, this engine is in great shape as far as we're concerned. The TBN of 4.6 is plenty strong. Zoom zoom!

You certainly aren't hurting anything running T6 but I doubt that it is providing significantly more protection than a good synthetic 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I purchased my MS3 new on July 14, 2007. From 5,000 miles to 69,000 miles I ran a 5,000 mile OCI using M1 5W-30. At 69,000 miles I extended the OCI to 7,500 miles(still using M1 5W-30) and at 115,000 miles I switched to M1 EP 5W-30. Engine mods are a Mazdaspeed CAI and a Hypertech tune. I have a UOA performed at every change; here are Blackstone Lab's comments at 146,000 miles:

Quote:

We'd tell you this is another great sample from your MS3 (which it is), but that's old news for this engine. This is the 20th report for this engine, so you've got some very solid unit/location averages established for this motor, and this report is only adding to the good numbers displayed in that column. Basically, we're really just trying to tell you how good this report is in a way that you might not have heard before. Keep up the good work, this engine is in great shape as far as we're concerned. The TBN of 4.6 is plenty strong. Zoom zoom!

You certainly aren't hurting anything running T6 but I doubt that it is providing significantly more protection than a good synthetic 5W-30.

And data to back it up.

Nice

Agreed! Another example of a thicker oil doing a great job and the thinner is better crowd trolling.

Citing nearly eight years and over 146k miles of experience(including 20 UOAs) with the identical engine is now considered trolling?

Citing nearly eight years and over 146k miles of experience(including 20 UOAs) with the identical engine is now considered trolling?

Who says your trolling?

You aren't inferring that from me are you?

I was being serious.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Who says your trolling?

I was being serious.

I'm sorry for not making things clearer; I know you and I definitely was not referring to you- it was the person who posted immediately after you.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Who says your trolling?

I was being serious.

I'm sorry for not making things clearer; I know you and I definitely was not referring to you- it was the person who posted immediately after you.

Sorry.

I missed that post.

Exactly how are you trolling.
You post data as evidence that the grade you are using has been very effective yet some genius without data has something negative to add.

Par for the course.
And sad

Don't give them the satisfaction guys, that's what they're looking for.

Last edited:
To the OP, I would definitely not extend your OCI on this engine. You're getting good advice from your "local". Your oil is fuel diluted at 5000, why would you want to go farther? My 2008.5 MS3 was similarly hard on oil-short trips were particularly tough on its oil.

Also, Mazda issued a warranty extension on my turbo and cam chain and was adamant that coverage would only be extended if 5W-30 was used. So, Mazda was pretty particular about oil grade.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
To the OP, I would definitely not extend your OCI on this engine. You're getting good advice from your "local". Your oil is fuel diluted at 5000, why would you want to go farther? My 2008.5 MS3 was similarly hard on oil-short trips were particularly tough on its oil.

Also, Mazda issued a warranty extension on my turbo and cam chain and was adamant that coverage would only be extended if 5W-30 was used. So, Mazda was pretty particular about oil grade.

Thank you for your input. I think I'll pull it at 5000 again and see what kind of fuel dilution I have. Just having changed the fuel pump internals, and given the fact that my previous OCI didn't have any significant fuel in it, I'm not sure there's a real problem.

I'm not worried about the VVT because I have a Pu. These don't have VVT problems the way the Genwon's did. Also, warranty's not a concern on my car at this point because it's modified (no hope of warranty) and it'll probably cross 60k by the end of the year.

As for all of the people asking why I'm using T6 5W-40, the answer is simply that 1) it's a known good oil for this platform and 2) it's inexpensive. I'm still on the stock turbo, so obviously this car doesn't get used particularly hard.

Originally Posted By: sinclair1
Thick and hardy did a fantastic job . What other than amsoil could even hold a candle to this oil

Rotella does have competitors within its service class and viscosity, and they do "hold a candle to this oil."

Originally Posted By: sinclair1
Thick and hardy did a fantastic job . What other than amsoil could even hold a candle to this oil

Drinking the kool aid I see.

Amsoil at one point had an edge over off the shelf syns. Today that line is blurred or non existent.
I like Amsoil. I like the company however it costs too much when compared to products with actual approvals rather than meets or exceeds.
Your new. Maybe you'll learn,maybe you won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back