WOLFMAN Razor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my order from James today:

1 X Head Only: WR1-SB - Standard/Safety Bar with the High Polished finish. 125$ Taxes & Shipping Included.
1 x WRH3 Handle High Polished finish. 75$ Taxes & Shipping Included.
1 x Razor Stand High Polished finish. 30$ Taxes & Shipping Included.
Total: 230$ Canadian.

I shaved with it, had about 8 days growth. I used a new Astra razor, Omega Syntex brush, and my favorite soap: Proraso Sandalwood (red tub).

I'll start by saying the machining and polishing couldn't possibly be better.

Blade fits in and clamps down in a manner that the whole unit is one piece and scalpel sharp.

The characteristic of the Astra blade is different. It went from being a nice sharp blade to extremely sharp, I guess it gained efficiency by such precise clamping.

The razor is a bit more aggressive than my Merkur heads, but it is welcome as I still have years left where my beard will get coarser as I become a geezer.

There is absolutely NO WAY you can make a better razor. The rest would just be blade exposure / angle preference.

I didn't even need aftershave when finished. Nice easy shave.

Am I glad I didn't go for the Dual Comb? For sure. My facial hair was destroyed by this thing leaving my face untouched.

My experience is Merkur is overpriced junk at this point.

I was pondering originally only buying the Head and screwing my Maggard MR6 handle to it.

I am really glad I got the whole kit. A nice collector's item for sure, they even say Wolfman on the head now, nice touch.

I was looking at the Maggard MR6 handle and was going to see how it looked on the Wolfman head.

I picked up the MR6 attached to my Merkur 33C head and in comparison to the Wolfman handle it just looked like junk.

Really, it is so nice it make the MR6 handle look like absolute junk.

So there you have it. It is not a beginner's blade by any means, but if you know your beard and skin type and can nail picking the right head for you, you will NEVER need another razor for the rest of your life.

My DE purchasing is finished, this is the one.

Hope this helps anyone make a decision to go with James at Wolfman, it would be worth sitting on a waiting list for a year IMO.

Last edited:
I may look into buying one of those stainless ones. Made in Alberta! They definitely look top notch from what I can see in the pics on the website.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I may look into buying one of those stainless ones. Made in Alberta! They definitely look top notch from what I can see in the pics on the website.

Are all their twin edge razor parts made in Canada?

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

Are all their twin edge razor parts made in Canada?
That is something I would have to email and ask.

Everything is done by one guy.

He even packages it well and ships it off to you.

And answers your e-mails and all your questions.

100% made and sold by one guy, in Alberta.

For the prices of high end electric razors this thing is cheap if you let your facial hair grow for a week between shaves.

I'm balding as well, this thing will be shaving the sides and back of my head in a few years lol.

I cut my own hair (yes, I am balding that much) with Wahl clippers, and I do it each month when I start getting bed head the hair gets buzzed off to 1/16" stubble.

So, my grooming budget is really low, and with that brake job I did in the street... Cough... It is pricey but I'm happy with it. He is the highest quality, lowest cost machined SS (not sintered) razor available. Extremely affordable.

James is a great guy, totally deserves our business.

He also makes the BBS-1 for the LA Shaving Soap Company. Those are always sold out as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I hear that it is gentle enough for Caitlyn Jenner.
Trimming the unmentionables.

Hey...I live in ALberta.

I use an electric because my face reacts so badly to using a razor like a mach3 turbo like friction rashes that turn into pimples especially on my neck. I shave every other day with the electric.

Are these type razors better than a mach3 type? The thought of a more exposed blade kind of freaks me out. I have thoughts of nicking my jugular and bleeding out (far fetched I know but..) Did it take a while to get used to it?

Smokescreen, I have very little choice but to use a DE razor.

I don't shave every day so I can't use an electric.

I don't want to use a clipper then use an electric, I find it takes WAY too much time and is tiring.

A straight razor I am not the type.

Cartridge razors clog on me unless I shave every 3 days max.

A DE Razor is a "Safety Razor". You get pretty much the same kind of nicks and razor burn as if you use a cartridge razor improperly.

If used properly, DE shaving is among the most gentle ways to shave, especially if you let your stubble grow out past a week.

I shave twice a week, once a month I have a 10 day beard that I shave off.

I lived in Alberta as well when I was younger, nice touch that it is Alberta made for sure!

Originally Posted By: Falken
I'm balding as well, this thing will be shaving the sides and back of my head in a few years lol.

Anywhere else you're planning on using the razor?

I'll stick with my $15.00 Lord razor & blades from Russia. However I do have a choice of over a hundred Gillette razors in my collectionu.

I don't know which Merkur you have, but I have the progressive and it definitely isn't junk. It's the first adjustable DE I've had and I get incredibly smooth shaves with it...

Not saying that this is for everyone but this portable panasonic wet/dry es3831kused wet does as good as a blade
http://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/3287/3287252_ra.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

Last edited:
At those prices it better be good. Quite frankly, it doesn't sound like it will do anything my old Gillette SuperSpeed won't do, and my investment in the old SuperSpeed wasn't in the hundreds of dollars.

Taxes and shipping were included.

In Quebec, sales taxes are 15%

This is for the Head, Handle, and Stand.

All marine stainless, so it is FAR less expensive than Above the Tie that is in USD and you have to pay shipping.

People with ATT razors report very good experiences with Wolfman, I read one guy selling his ATT in the same post.

This isn't for everyone, but it is custom work.

No, I don't plan on shaving anything else with a DE razor *cringe*. I like my "coin purse" right where it is lol.

Any chance of showing some pictures of your razor?

From what you say, I might just treat myself to one. As you say, that is NOT a lot of money for something that is quality and will last a lifetime.

Also, it's a good excuse to help out a poor Albertan. Geez, I hear of one in Edmonton having to sell his Skiboat and maybe even a couple of Snowmobiles. They may even have to pay Sales Tax soon! ;-)

But honesty, if I bought one it would be an indulgeance, there really is nothing wrong with my Rapira, $10 shipped including 5 blades. For anyone wanting to try a DE razor you can't really beat that.

Thank you, looks good.

Interesting that they give measurements for Blade gap and Blade exposure. What exactly is he measuring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back