How to gain power on a 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.4L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.4l with 200,000 miles. Are there any easy ways to gain power? Already using synthetic oil and trans fluid, cold air intake, plugs and wires, clean fuel system, new fuel filter and no mechanical engine problems or maintenance due. Each cylinder has 180 psi of compression, give or take 3 psi. Any easy mods fore more power?

The cold air intake isn't going to do anything for you, it's just a noise maker and a rock catcher. Check to see if the catalytic converter is plugged. Otherwise, buy another car.

It dropped the intake air temp sensor reading by 7 degrees on an 80 degree day according to my scanners live data.

What about removing the line from the egr valve to intake manifold and plugging hole in intake?

Maybe you can put on a turbo kit from a similar engine car? Is the SRT-4 of that era the same engine?

Also, you could try removing all the dead weight in the car. Its kind of like making more power...

Last edited:
It's a 15 y/o car with 200k miles, and it's worth next to nothing. Probably better off to save your money to buy something else.

Would performance cams, cat delete and or performance exhaust manifold make a noticeable power gain?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Avery4
Would performance cams, cat delete and or performance exhaust manifold make a noticeable power gain?

Smarten up.

You'll spend countless dollars trying to make that car fast. Dude. It's a grocery getter,not a track runner.

You want a fast car. Sell the stratus and buy a fast car.
Cams,exhaust are a complete waste of money.

Who even makes performance parts for that engine. Gimme a break

See these threads every so often, usually on other boards. Your better off selling it and buying something faster.

Even if you could make it faster it's already got 200k on it, you could spend a ton of money just to have the engine or transmission go out and then you have a huge repair bill just to get it working again.

A cat delete can actually cause you to lose power.

The only thing I can think of is a small dry shot of nitrous oxide, but it's very easy to go too big and cause problems. Even with a small shot you're stressing the oem axles and transmission hard.

I believe that car is around 140 hp. don't delete the cat - you will wreck havoc on the OBD II system - which is looking for the O2 sensor after the cat.

You are grasping at straws man. Is your car even a stick? If not the trans will soak up so much before you even get to the wheels.

Let's say you had a full race exhaust installed, properly sized to increase scavenging and keep velocity up and prevent reversion. It might make 10 HP on your engine. Your wallet might be $800 lighter. And because of drive line inefficiency you might see 4 HP at the wheels. And you would have wicked drone at highway speeds.

$800 worth of weight reduction would make your car better all around. And for that matter selling that car and buying $800 more will net you so much more performance than almost anything you could do to that car.
Only thing worth a [censored] would be forced induction

I used to work for Chrysler/Dodge during the time these cars were being built. The 2.4L engine is too small to be doing anything performance oriented in the Stratus because the Stratus body is too heavy.

What people used to do is remove the 2.4 from the Stratus/Cirrus/Breeze and put it in a Neon.

I'm with everyone else here. You'll have to buy another car or pull the engine, add forged internals and slap a turbo/supercharger on it.

The car itself isn't worth this kind of money.

One more thing to add. Even if you were to do all of this to the engine, as soon as you blow the transmission out (and you will), you'll be left with the task of upgrading an automatic transmission that may not have upgraded parts available.

Last edited:
Make it as light as possible, the lighter the car faster you go!
An optimised gear set makes a HUGE difference to the feel of the car
Intake/cam/head work/exhaust can help
More compression can help
Live mapping on a rolling road helps

After all that it'd be quicker and cheaper to buy an old WRX or GTI which would be faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back