Cranking very slow- even with new battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car has been taking really long to crank and I finally had it tested at Advance, they charged it then retested it. Their reader said replace battery. So a new Autocraft Gold one went in (replacing the < 3 years old one) I thought all was well. But tonight I noticed it is still cranking slow.

Another weird thing- when I first turned on the radio afterwards one channel just came in as static until the next 2 starts it gradually came back on. I have no idea what happened there...

The battery might have been killed by trying to crank an engine that has a hard time starting.

Could be any number of things. Any recent maintenance?

That will be my next step. I will use a terminal brush to clean up all my grounds, I normally do that like once a year anyway. The TSX forums indicate it could be the starter.

bad ground,
corroded wiring,
weak starter,
worn starter switch solenoid,
worn commutator and/or brush inside starter motor

Q.

Once, i was really scratching my head trying to figure out a slow cranking starter motor, grounds were ok, battery was new and even on jumper cables it would be cranking slow...

The starter motor had an internal short, the bushings were worn, so the winding was rubbing against the stator, and it ruined the insulation...

I agree about checking grounds and such......But new batteries can be suspect, as well. Try checking voltage while the engine is turning over. Under 10 volts, the new battery is probably bad.

Or.....Both batteries are not getting a full charge, from a faulty charging system.

Originally Posted By: Drosselmier
If the original battery is still in use, I think it's time for a replacement.

Hmmmmm?? I think the post title kinda hinted that there is a new battery? Just my opinion though!

Originally Posted By: Dohc98vteC
Car has been taking really long to crank and I finally had it tested at Advance, they charged it then retested it. Their reader said replace battery. So a new Autocraft Gold one went in (replacing the < 3 years old one) I thought all was well. But tonight I noticed it is still cranking slow.

Another weird thing- when I first turned on the radio afterwards one channel just came in as static until the next 2 starts it gradually came back on. I have no idea what happened there...

The static in the radio is very common for power antennas. Doesn't know if you have one but if so that's more then likely the cause.

Something could be killing the battery, or its not charging correctly. Have it charged outside the vehicle with a real battery charger and see if it's cranking slow on the first start after being charged. Advance has a good charger that can top it off under an hour...Probably less for that smaller battery.

Originally Posted By: flacoman
Bad Ground?

Yes, I have solved a couple problems like this by running a HEAVY ground wire from the engine block to one of the mounting bolts on the starter.

I like the starter idea. When I've had a marginal ground connection on a bellhousing etc it would arc and the resistance from the arc would kill it for good.

What about the cable from the battery to the starter? My Cherokee has always cranked slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow . Have replaced the starter and the battery and still cranks like it is -50 out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back