Rod knock?!!!??!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 Chevy Malibu Maxx LT v6. 100380 miles. I just had the dealership change my plugs and wires and changed the oil on Saturday. The car would sometimes knock like piston slap, and then yesterday I noticed it sounded a little different, today I popped the hood and here is the video....Thanks a lot guys!

View My Video

Nice engine BTW. My Aura has almost the same engine (GM High Value V6) but I think the 2005 model year did not yet have the VVT that the later year ones did. Long live the pushrod!

I don't think that's an exhaust leak.

Does it go away when you apply a little throttle and come back when you "lift" ?

I'd do as 01rangerxl suggested. check for exhaust leaks. Also check to make sure the accessory devices such as ps pump alternator , ac compressor have tight bolts.

I just bought a saturn that had a sound that could have been mistaken for rod knock, it was the belt tensioner.
Check it with a flashlight and see if its really moving a lot at idle, and if the sound seems to be coming from there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zach1900
.High value v6? Lol

actually high feature is what it is
smile.gif

That could be a loose spark plug. Which is possible, given that they were just changed. If it is, it will get a lot louder, very soon, when the plug exits the head.

Too fast and too dull for any combustion related event- so not rod knock, not valve train, not piston slap. All this is assuming the engine was at low idle. Bearing noises like "rod knock" get worse with engine temp.

Could be belt driven or electrical- like evap purge solenoid (yes, I've heard a few that were that loud). Try removing the serpentine belt and see if the noise goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back