Cost of an AC recharge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One easy thing you could do is buy one of these cheap low pressure side gauges and connect to the port, this way you will know if there is sufficient pressure in the system.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
This is for my Sig Accord. Local place has a special where they evacuate, leak test and recharge with up to 1 lb of freon for $70. Is this reasonable?

I believe it was around $70 ~2yrs ago for our 2008 Honda Odyssey at the Honda dealer. The A/C had stopped working. I couldn't find any evidence of leakage or bad relays. Reluctantly took it in. They supposedly dye checked and recharged it. They couldn't find any issues and it worked afterwards.

Back in December I was charged $200 for a recharge in my F350. The issues started when the AC wouldn't kick on, I bought a home kit, that didn't work, so I took it to a local place that attempted to diagnose it for about 3.5 hours but couldn't find the issue. They said the compressor was staying engaged too long, which it was. The interesting thing is the next day and every since, its worked perfectly (and it gets a lot of use here in Jacksonville FL). They probably added too much Freon and it leaked out overnight.

honda dealer charged me $135, and supposidly they evac'd the system and brought the refrigerant/oil back to spec

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I just top the one up on the Cherokee every year. The schrader valve leaks. I can't see putting the money into the Aircon on a 15 year old vehicle.

My Schrader valve is leaking too. I got quoted between $150-200 for a vacuum of the system, replacing the valve and filling of the system.

That's not worth it for me. The 15 year old condenser could give out any minute now. I'd be afraid of putting the thing under a vacuum to get the moisture out and it just failing right after that.

Originally Posted By: lairdwd
honda dealer charged me $135, and supposidly they evac'd the system and brought the refrigerant/oil back to spec

Just had mine recharged at a local dealer as well for 140, evac, leak test, and recharge. For some things I don't mind having the dealer do it when its something I could easily mess up! Another dealer nearby quoted me 190 for the same service......I laughed and thanked him for the quote. Always price shop if you don't do the work yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back