Home made windshield washer fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: linksep
"303 tablets are 3x more powerful than ordinary windshield cleaners" so mix 'em 1 tablet to 3 gal tap water or 2 tabs to 5 gal tap water. 25 tabs for $10 on Amazon is $0.13-$0.16 per gal if you dilute it close to "ordinary" strength. Use that mix in spring/summer. Fall through winter mix 2-3 gallons of regular -20*F store bought WW fluid with 2-3 gallons of water and a 303 tablet. 2 gal walmart WW fluid + 3 gal water and a 303 tablet would be around $0.88/gal. In both cases you save more than 50% and storage/handling/hassle is reduced by a whole lot.

I am on the world's top ten tightwad list but I am not getting the point of this. We have two cars and use 1-1/2 to 2 gal of cleaner per year. The savings you are talking about are silly low. Storage? How many gallons of cleaner do you keep on hand? I guess your approach would make sense for someone who owned/operated a fleet of limo's.

Last edited:
I use the 303 tablets. Initially got them from Amazon but then found the 5 packs on clearance and have several of those as well.

So I use as much as I want now and wash my windscreens to wanton abandon and reckless excess.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
I am on the world's top ten tightwad list but I am not getting the point of this. We have two cars and use 1-1/2 to 2 gal of cleaner per year. The savings you are talking about are silly low. Storage? How many gallons of cleaner do you keep on hand? I guess your approach would make sense for someone who owned/operated a fleet of limo's.

Not for me, I buy a case (6-gal) of WW fluid (standard blue -20F) when it's on sale at Menards. I supplement with a gallon or two of the -30 or -35 stuff if the weather is stupid cold, and sometimes in the summer I use a gallon or two of the 32+ "bug formula" fluid. I'd say we use 4-6 gal per year per car, but the OP is talking about running a little oil change business and I'm assuming he's going through 10's of gallons per year (like 20-50 gal). There would be some price savings to what I said in my earlier post, but more significantly, storage and handling savings. Go buy 1 case of fluid and cut it with water/303 tabs, then the OP would be good for 20-30 oil changes (with WW fluid top-off).

I might order up some of those 303 tabs and try them for dosing my WW fluid and see if it makes the regular blue stuff work like the green bug formula.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
only Rain-X for me. It's worth the $3 at walmart to be able to see extremely well in the rain.

Exactly. Been using the orange stuff since it came out ..20 years ago??

I have a couple spray bottles full of and I use it on all my house windows. Great stuff. The more you use it the better it gets.

Last edited:
I use the -35? -40? temp Rain-X in the winter and buy the cheap stuff from Walmart in the summer. I go through quite a bit of it in the summer in the Jeep.

The problem comes when I decide to top off my parents' cars. They keep it next to the RV antifreeze. Same color, way different product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back