Mitigate Tool RUST in toolbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dry them with a rag and hit the, with wd40 before they're put away.
Or, there are products sold to shooters to control moisture in gun cabinets that you could use..

An old English technique for very expensive double guns was to use a block of camphor (I beleive natural) in the case to act as a Vapor Phase Inhibitor (VPI, like VPI paper.

Throw a packed of closet moth bombs (camphor, not napthalene) and see how they go.

I've had a three ball set in my gunsafe for a half decade, and they are still only half evaporated.

I always wipe down my tools when putting them away. Sometimes with a dry/new rag, sometimes with a oily/used rag and frequently with a rag I keep around saturated with Fluid Film. I have found this works VERY well and even keeps the tools in my "emergency bag" in the back of my pickup rust free.

If you want a VCI, Zerust VC2-2 is what you are looking for.

I'm with buck91, I may remove moisture with WD40, but for rust prevention I wipe down with FluidFilm on a microfiber rag before storage. I keep the rag in the top and replace it every once in a while.

The rag comes from my window cleaning microfiber stash, when one gets too oily or stained that Atsko Sport Wash doesn't get it cleaned it gets moved to tool duty, and from there to an oil change rag and then to the trash.

There are rust-resistant toolbox mats out there. Harbor Freight sells the stuff. It's a bit pricey. It does keep the tools in place very nicely, which is worth it for time savings.

I have the same issue with humitiy in my garage.
Kano labs sells a prevox metal coating that i was thinking of trying. they have another product they have is weatherpruf, I may order a can of each to try.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I use MOTH balls and my tools are rust free after 50 years. I bought a box and put 3 or 4 balls in each drawer. ed

Who knew?
21.gif

Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back