Quiet Highway Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

I'm going to take the Hankooks off of a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE extended cab short bed, 143" wheelbase, automatic 4WD.

I want to put something on that is safe at highway speeds and above all quiet. This truck will probably never leave the paved surface, we have other vehicles for that. The 4WD on this one is for winter driving safety.

Primary consideration is lowest possible road noise. Second is wet and dry weather safety.

Any recommendations?

If there's a better behaved and quieter highway truck tire than the Michelin LTX M/S2 I've yet to ride on 'em.

Not coincidentally on my GMC Sierras btw.
smile.gif

I really like my Michelins LTX MS2 on my truck. The last set lasted 90,000 miles and the ride was quiet and smooth. Current set has about 10,000 miles and are worth every penny I spent on them. I run P255/70R16 on mine.

Originally Posted By: CCI
Primary consideration is lowest possible road noise.

My inclination would be towards a closed-shoulder tire should it fit the usage profile.

Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD is available in your size (albeit load range E), and carries a 9.5/10 noise rating on Tire Rack. On the plus side, it'd be the last set you'd likely ever buy for this truck -- incredible longevity.

The Michelin LTX M/S2s I have on the Burb are nice and quiet at highway speeds. It was like night and day when the half worn Falkens I had on prior came off and the Michelins went on. The Falkens were so bad that I thought I had a shot wheel hub bearing. It has been more than 4 months and 4,000 miles with the Michelins and they are still nice and quiet. Haven't really tested them out in the wet but dry traction is fantastic.

I am not sure why everybody is recommending heavy truck tires. There are several "XL" rated tires that will suit your needs. Also, if you don't have any heavy loads the manufacturers equipped most half ton trucks OEM with any number of name brand "P" rated tires that would also be quiet and ride very smooth.

I was not quite sure from your post if your looking for a quiet tire or a truck tire.

If you have access to a "Big O" tire store or "NTB" tire store I would suggest the following-

http://www.nittocrosstek.com/tires.aspx?tt=3

I run these tires and they are ultra quiet on the highway.

Last edited:
I can recommend a few snow tires but they won't be quiet. Altimax Arctics behave themselves better than most, noise-wise.

What's the % mix of dry use vs snow & ice?

whats the budget?

Popular answers would be

Michelin ltx m/s2

Firestone Destination LE2

After the set of Michelin LTX M/S tires that I *suffered* through, I'll never spend that kind of money on an over-priced and over-hyped tires ever again.

The ones that I had must have been counterfeit. Michelin would never make a tire that had very little wet traction, and no snow/ice traction at all. All that for around $200 per tire. What a bargain.

The Cooper Discoverer CTS tires that I have now put those [censored] Michelin tires to shame, at a fraction of the price.

Originally Posted By: CKN
I am not sure why everybody is recommending heavy truck tires. There are several "XL" rated tires that will suit your needs. Also, if you don't have any heavy loads the manufacturers equipped most half ton trucks OEM with any number of name brand "P" rated tires that would also be quiet and ride very smooth.

I was not quite sure from your post if your looking for a quiet tire or a truck tire.

If you have access to a "Big O" tire store or "NTB" tire store I would suggest the following-

http://www.nittocrosstek.com/tires.aspx?tt=3

I run these tires and they are ultra quiet on the highway.

Not all Michelin MS/2 tires are load range E, What's the big deal with running a LT tire on a Light Truck....They generally run a lot longer than a P-metric.

The old LTX A/S was even quieter than the M/S or M/S-2, But as they aged wet traction got really bad.

Budget is the last consideration on the list. Quality doesn't cost, it pays -- especially when I can drive my way out of a tight spot. The price difference between the worst tire and the best tire is less than my insurance deductible, not to mention the health benefits of avoiding a collision.

Minimal road noise is primary consideration. It's loud in the back seat of these trucks anyhow and I need to minimize the noise. Might even look at undercoating the truck if that helps.

Having the truck respond well in bad situations at 75mph+ is second on the list. I try real hard to avoid the folks texting and driving and the guys who don't grease the wheel bearings on their boat trailer but it happens.

Predictable, stable performance in snow and rain is third on the list.

Good tread life is a plus, but not a deal breaker.

Originally Posted By: splinter
If there's a better behaved and quieter highway truck tire than the Michelin LTX M/S2 I've yet to ride on 'em.

Not coincidentally on my GMC Sierras btw.
smile.gif

+1. Had these on several vehicles and will buy again.

> Highway tire

Michelin LTX M/S 2

I was gonna suggest the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus but it's a crossover/SUV tire.

Originally Posted By: CCI
I'm going to take the Hankooks off of a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE extended cab short bed, 143" wheelbase, automatic 4WD.

I want to put something on that is safe at highway speeds and above all quiet. This truck will probably never leave the paved surface, we have other vehicles for that. The 4WD on this one is for winter driving safety.

Primary consideration is lowest possible road noise. Second is wet and dry weather safety.

Any recommendations?

OP, we have several of these in a small fleet. Most have a similar or exact same size as you mentioned.

Go with the LTX, you will not be disappointed.

My wife's brand new Ram needed new tires the first time she drove it in the rain. She said "those Goodyears sure aren't as good as whatever we had on the old Silverado in the rain!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back