eljefino special!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sons g/f was looking for a low cost car( in college). I have been looking for her for a few months. I ran across a craigslist post for a saturn sl2 twincam that look good and was within 2 hours. It was listed as 172,000 miles. The price was $550. I thought well if the body is not too bad, i can get a swap yard engine and still come out okay. When i got there i was suprised. It is an NC car, no rust underneath. No headliner issues or torn seats. Someone has smoked in it but thats manageable. I cranked it up and heard quite a tapping sound that i recognized. ( Ive had 3 saturns prior). I turned on my flashlight and yep its the belt tensioner. I paid him cash took the title and drove it home.
Usually i trailer a car like this, but everything worked well enough, i had my avalanche in case i had to rent a dolly. Got it home.
Today i changed out the el-cheapo dayco belt tensioner( those are junk on a saturn.) Replaced it with a gates metal tensioner, and no tapping sound!!
The valve cover was leaking , when i pulled the plugs, they were soaked in oil.
So i pulled the valve cover and a bit of varnish and some deposits but no real sludge, just some baked on stuff. Cleaned it some, did not waste a lot of time on it. Cleaned the mating surfaces with a scotchpad and in went new felpro gaskets.
I pulled the wheels , the brakes are almost new including drums on the rear. The fronts look really good as well. The tires have about 1/2 original tread left all the way around.
Turns out i have a pretty good car for a college kid.
I can't believe he let it go for $550.

I titled this thread eljefino special, as i've read he has bought really low priced cars like this. This is the least i've ever paid.

Pics;
[img:center][/img]

junky dayco tensioner

Maybe a bit of cam wear, but i can't feel it with a fingernail

Last edited:
Good thing there is no rust underneath...the rear suspension has forward mounted tubular arms that attach to glorified sheetmetal behind the rocker panels.When that rusts/rips out,the car is done.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Good thing there is no rust underneath...the rear suspension has forward mounted tubular arms that attach to glorified sheetmetal behind the rocker panels.When that rusts/rips out,the car is done.

You are right, thats the first thing i check. Like you said if thats rusted, the whole car is a parts car.

I just posted some pics.

If you see green on the ac compressor, it looks like the schrader core is leaking. I think he did'nt connect his hose well and blew dye everywhere. Its holding 35psi low side on an 83 deg day. It cools just fine.

It could probably use some struts.

Last edited:
banana2.gif

Great job! Hope she appreciates it. My brothers friend has one of these, in the same color in fact. As he was leaving the parking lot this evening we heard a loud tapping/knocking noise...must be that tensioner.

I did once get a saturn for "three figures" with a bad tensioner which I then fixed in the seller's parking lot.

Though since it was public housing, it was actually my parking lot.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I did once get a saturn for "three figures" with a bad tensioner which I then fixed in the seller's parking lot.

Though since it was public housing, it was actually my parking lot.
wink.gif

Then i'm sure you know the trick for changing them, the top bolt can be a pain with a ratchet.
You loosen the top bolt before you remove the belt. Then take the belt off and then the bottom bolt off the tensioner.

Last edited:
Any time you can get a vehicle for under a grand and drive it safely home 2 hours away you are way ahead of the game.
I noticed a wear scar on the cams. Did you per chance run your finger over it and if so was it deep?
Give it 30 days. If nothing catastrophic happens it's money well spent.

What oil you gonna use

I've got to change the oil after changing plugs / air filter and having the valve cover off.
With that noticeable wear on the cams and the 172k miles , i'm trying to decide if i should go with a 40wt like rotella t 5w 40.
Don't know what oil consumption is, seller claimed a quart in 1500 miles. Base on my experience , i find that hard to believe.

Definitely a great deal there. These are great little cars.

I picked up this 2000 SC2 last summer for $500 with a blown engine. Found a guy selling an engine out of a 2002 SL2 for $350, and I threw new front pads and rotors on it. I've got less than a grand into the car, and it was an easy weekend project to get it on the road.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Any time you can get a vehicle for under a grand and drive it safely home 2 hours away you are way ahead of the game.
I noticed a wear scar on the cams. Did you per chance run your finger over it and if so was it deep?
Give it 30 days. If nothing catastrophic happens it's money well spent.

What oil you gonna use

I cant feel any thing with my fingernail, its smoother than it looks. Not sure about oil yet. thinking about a 5w 40 like rotella. or a 10w 40 dino.
I like synthetics, but i don't see the benefit for this car other that the rotella which is cost effective.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Definitely a great deal there. These are great little cars.

I picked up this 2000 SC2 last summer for $500 with a blown engine. Found a guy selling an engine out of a 2002 SL2 for $350, and I threw new front pads and rotors on it. I've got less than a grand into the car, and it was an easy weekend project to get it on the road.

Nice, the white is sharp! Paint looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back