Squealing Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

I've had a "squeal" develop ever since taking my 2002 Civic Si on a 500 mile road trip. It has 145,000 on it. It's definitely a belt or pulley but doesn't sound like a typical belt squeal. When the engine is cold it's worse but I think part of that is the RPM it runs at helps the sound resonate. Once driven for 2-5 minutes I can hear a noise (barely audible) that sounds like a faint, faint, squeal and I'm thinking bearing in a pulley. If I pop the hood and listen I don't hear all that much (once it's warmed up). I've had someone hold the engine at various RPMs that seem to be the worst when the engine is cold. Starting after work, when it's 80 degrees out, I sometimes don't get the squeal. But every morning when it's been below 40 lately I've had it for sure. I know it's difficult without hearing it, but dread taking it to a shop to have them replace the belt (see if that helps), then this pulley, then an alternator, then that pulley, etc. Do they have a way to actually diagnose which pulley it's coming from? Or will they just replace piece by piece until they find which one makes it disappear? I should add, I popped the belt off and spun the pulleys and didn't find any play or grinding feelings.

Last edited:
Maybe the Power Steering Pump? Some used to call it "Morning Sickness" IIRC.

Combined with a worn belt, it makes a wicked squeal until the car warms up.

Rubber CONTRACTS when it's hot. Sounds like a belt is not quite tight enough. As it warms from slipping it gets tighter. "Belt dressing" just lets them slip without making noise.

Spray some water on the ribbed side of the belt and if it gets louder you have a tension problem. If the belt is old...just replace...it may have stretched. If there is a belt adjustment...try tightening it. If not maybe the tensioner needs replacing.

Maybe get some WD40 and squirt the bearings one-by-one. Don't get any on the belt. This won't solve the problem, but it will help identify the offending bearing or alternator or pump.

Alternator in my 2003 ford truck had bearings that were dry and going bad. They sounded exactly like a slipping belt. Worst when cold.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Run the engine for a minute with the belt off. Process of elimination.

This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back