Timing cover gasket leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was changing oil in wife's Lexus GS350 yesterday and noticed small amounts of oil at various places on passenger side of engine. I had been topping off her oil about 1/4 quart every 3 weeks for past few months. I can't see a lot from under or above car but pretty sure this is not a valve cover leak. I understand the engine in this particular car is subject to timing chain cover leaks and the motor has to be removed to replace the gasket. Anyone had any experience with this?

How old is it and how many miles? How many miles are you driving in 3 weeks?

My Rav4 has some oil leaking out of the timing chain cover but a switch to HM oil slowed it way down to about a 1/2 quart every 5000 miles.

I'd be concerned with any oil leaking but, more concerned if the engine has a timing belt instead of a timing chain! You wouldn't want oil getting on the belt as oil will deteriorate the belt! But with a chain, they need lubrication anyway!

07 with 104,000. Drives about 1,000 miles per month. a VVti cam gear recall got the valve cover gaskets replaced last year. I hope they did not re-use the old ones. I have a fuel pressure gasket recall now, lol, so will have them double check everything. I checked out the areas where a small amount of oil was and it is right where everyone is sayong the timing cover leaks. It has a chain and not a belt.

That 2GR engine leaks where the #1 head/block/ timing cover all meet. There's a TSB on that specific leak. You have to reseal it, either in the car, or drop the engine/trans together out the bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back