Edge Insight vs Evolution vs SCT Livewire

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I get a turbo kit for my car, which one of these is best to get. They all can monitor PIDs, but Edge Evolution and SCT Liverwire also have tuning capabilities, with SCT Liverwire more versatile. I wonder if hand tuners can handle aftermarket turbo kit. Does any of them has best monitoring capability? I know they can all be used with additional sensors, but I wonder if there are parameters that can be monitored with Prosport gauges but they cannot monitor, like turbo boost. Some people do not like SCT Livewire because the touchscreen and mounting options.

What type of car is this turbo kit going on? SCT seems to be real popular with the Ford camp, but the most important thing is a proper dyno tune with a competent tuner doing the programming.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
What type of car is this turbo kit going on? SCT seems to be real popular with the Ford camp, but the most important thing is a proper dyno tune with a competent tuner doing the programming.

My car is 2012 Ford Fusion. I wonder if a hand tuner with a custom tune can handle a custom turbo kit and transmission swap. I plan to use a compatible manual transmission to change out the lousy 6f35. If an aftermarket ECM or dyno tune is needed, then the main use of the device is for monitoring.

If adding boost to a NA engine you MUST GET DYNOTUNED. Mail order tunes just won't cut it. You are spenfing big bucks on the snail why cheap out on the most important part,TUNING.

Originally Posted By: sam369

My car is 2012 Ford Fusion. I wonder if a hand tuner with a custom tune can handle a custom turbo kit and transmission swap. I plan to use a compatible manual transmission to change out the lousy 6f35. If an aftermarket ECM or dyno tune is needed, then the main use of the device is for monitoring.

Handheld tuners do just basic mods and are NOT made to compensate for boost. Nitrous sure but boost has too many variables. Get it done right and get a custom map written for your vehicle. Forget the mail order stuff its inadequate.
The dynotuner can re-write for different trans,modify shift points and firmness and whatnot.
I have an sct 3015 for mustangs and a diablosport for my charger and the sct is a much better tuner,but not as gimmicky.
Do not even think about taking short cuts here. I tuned my nitrous fed mustang on the street and track however I do not recommend it. The time I spent making small unnoticeable adjustments I was better off paying someone to do it with a dyno and exhaust probe so ALL environmental and potential running conditions can be compensated for and will run at an OPTIMAL level instead of close enough.
Go ahead if you are a wrench and install everything but get it towed to a speed shop to get tuned right. I just cannot stress this enough.
As far as tuners go buy whichever your speed shop uses so it's simple to load your tune from their dyno
I met guys at the track who had the sct pro racers tuning equipment. They datalogged each run then modified the tuning based on the acquired data.
They were at the track non stop for a month making adjustments.
Finally they decided to get their mustang dynotuned.
The shop had the car done in 3 hours. They dataloged after and they were amazed at how well the car ran and were impressed by how well the tuning was done. It's money well spent.
A handheld tuner is great for nitrous or small mods but they just aren't up to the task of a boosted engine. That requires a dynotune.

You've been warned. All it takes is to get a lean spike at full throttle and you can melt a piston. I've seen it happen to those evo guys trying to run 20 pounds of boost without enough fuel,or the blow off valve pressure setting was too high and never vented.
Especially if you've got no experience in the field do you really think you are qualified to tune your own engine without the proper tools(dyno)
Give me a break

I certainly will go for a dyno tune if I get a turbo for the car. I wanna know which of the three devices is best for monitoring PIDs. Many people install multiple aftermarket gauges. I think it's much better if one of the devices can get the same result.

BTW, does anyone know good shops in Texas or Oklahoma that can do trans swap, build custom turbo, and dyno tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back