Whats up with the quality of wiper blades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me and my GF thinking -- wiper blades even the more expensive ones do not last past 2 years at most. What is up with the quality for some rubber?

How are you seeing them fail? Leaving streaks or the part that wipes the glass ripping away from the rest of the blade.

I think 1 yr should be max for any wiper blade.

And then there are people (like me) who try and use the wiper to scrape some ice off the windshield vs getting out and scrapping it with a scrapper.

Last edited:
The bleep thrown on the roads in the winter around here so Granny can get around in her cheaply shod S box does not do them much good. Windshields are no longer dead flat sheets of glass either.

Last edited:
I have about a year on my Valeo 900 series, bought on the 2fer deal, and they are still decent despite this crazy last winter.

I am going to order the non-beam, 600 series next and see if they last any longer or not.

I change about every six months, but I'm very picky about wiper performance. I find regular replacement of even cheap blades is better than spending a bunch of money on some alleged wonder-blade in search of long life.

I think when they went from plain rubber to synthetic rubber the lifespan went downhill badly.I remember a 1980 Chevette getting its first replacement blades,in....1990!!!

I usually buy the cheapest blades possible, here in the desert they don't last more than a year anyways so why bother with the fancy ones?

Buy whatever's cheapest. I have no idea what these people are doing that claim they get years of use out of one set. I've come to realize that, at best, $40 sets of wiper blades last 15% longer than $10 sets.

http://www.silblade.com/

Installed these on my Mini in Feb of 2013, they still work fine. I make sure I pick them up when Ice and snow is expected, so they don't get torn trying to get them off the windshield. Other than that, no special treatment.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
They don't last long here due to UV exposure. Certainly is not from overuse.

+1 If you park outdoors their life can be reduced by 50-60%

I agree with Donald here. One year or maybe just a bit over is good enough to change. I have used Rainx latitudes and they are fantastic but one key to avoiding permenant steaks is to clean the windshield regularly and wipe the baldes surface clean to. Any piece of grime or grit stuck in there and left will cause streaks.
I do think that UV rays have a great negative effect plus winter time salt and sand spread out for snow and ice. In most areas I would guess a year is pretty good life for them. But the Bosch icons were terrible when I got them three years ago. Only lasted 3 months before major streaks in the windshield when using them. Irritated me bigtime. Paid $40 plus and threw them out. Replaced with Rainx latitudes for about the same price which were awesome.

I get Bosch or similar for my Jetta, and I might get 12 months. On my Toyotas I get dealer inserts and get about two years. I try not to use wipers in winter, nor high speed setting, and the cars sit outdoors.

Blades for my Tundra are not cheap. $60 for a set or so.

The more you spend, the more you convince yourself they're still "working fine"
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back