Question about oil leaks that were fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got my oil pan and valve cover leaks fixed. The mechanic said its normal for residual oil to trickle down for a bit then stop. I noticed that the valve cover gaskets and oil pan Honda bond look kinda wet. Just the mating surface not a huge amount. I cleaned off the oil as best as I could to recheck later but I am still worried. Is this normal? They have not dripped down so far but shine when I put a flashlight to them. The car is an 05 Honda Civic with an aluminum oil pan that only uses Honda bond(no gasket). Any advice would be great.

Its possible if there is a cork gasket possibly. Running 0w20 in that Honda with that mileage? Especially in Cali I would run 5w20 or 5w30 if not and full syn high mileage m1 hm or valvoline maxlife syn maybe.

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
I recently got my oil pan and valve cover leaks fixed. The mechanic said its normal for residual oil to trickle down for a bit then stop. I noticed that the valve cover gaskets and oil pan Honda bond look kinda wet. Just the mating surface not a huge amount. I cleaned off the oil as best as I could to recheck later but I am still worried. Is this normal? They have not dripped down so far but shine when I put a flashlight to them. The car is an 05 Honda Civic with an aluminum oil pan that only uses Honda bond(no gasket). Any advice would be great.
Take it to a DIY car wash, cover the spark system (whatever it is) and hit it with the warm soapy water. Then check it with a strong light.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Take it to a DIY car wash, cover the spark system (whatever it is) and hit it with the warm soapy water. Then check it with a strong light.

This x1000. Also you can pick up a UV light/glasses/dye kit for pretty cheap and can see if it is still leaking.

Also what is the cure time for the RTV used?

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Its possible if there is a cork gasket possibly. Running 0w20 in that Honda with that mileage? Especially in Cali I would run 5w20 or 5w30 if not and full syn high mileage m1 hm or valvoline maxlife syn maybe.

Why would a 5w-20 be any different than a 0w-20.

If it's leaking and it's got new gaskets take it back and make them fix it properly. You've just paid for quality workmanship. So hold them to it.

The car has a bit of miles on it but I had most of the seals replaced when I did the timing belt not too long ago( Valve Covers, cam seal, crank seal, and now the oil pan). I should be able to run any oil and not worry about leaks. 0W20 and 5W20 are the same weight so I should be fine. The car runs really smooth so I am not too worried about the engine having a lot of miles. More concerned about the leaks.

Clevy, I think I will drive it a bit and then monitor if the wetness goes away. But should the gasket be completely dry when its installed?

Last edited:
They didn't clean tho oil pan and valve covers when they removed them to reseal them?

Well they said they did clean it. Then said that residue oil sometimes drips a bit.I just want to know if that's true or should it be bone dry. They also changed the oil and maybe some oil dripped down when they changed the oil filter. But this still doesn't explain the valve cover.

Originally Posted By: CT8
They didn't clean tho oil pan and valve covers when they removed them to reseal them?

Seriously, anytime one of those comes off, they need to take a bath in the parts washer, including scrubbing behind the ears. As far as oil dripping down, it will not be on a section that will prevent proper sealing.

I know no shop who cheerfully does re-work. Their first inclination is always "they all do that" "no problem found" "give it a time, it will go away" etc.

The leaks were not fixed correctly. But deep down inside, you know and they know:- somebody screwed up. The question becomes is it worth pushing for the resolution?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8

Of course not! No paid mechanic does. That's more of a DIY thing.

I think I will take it back and have the mechanic redo the work. I hope its the last time I have to go back for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back