Tool Battery Pack Rebuild Kits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have sent out a Dewalt XPR battery and had new cells installed. The cells they installed were a higher amp-hr capacity than what came from the factory. But I did not save much.

Note you can only spot weld to these batteries, not solder but it looks like its all connected for you and hopefully the cells are matched.

I have now gone to Milwaukee M18 batteries which are LiIon so I am hoping for a good long battery life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
I have sent out a Dewalt XPR battery and had new cells installed. The cells they installed were a higher amp-hr capacity than what came from the factory. But I did not save much.

Note you can only spot weld to these batteries, not solder but it looks like its all connected for you and hopefully the cells are matched.

I have now gone to Milwaukee M18 batteries which are LiIon so I am hoping for a good long battery life.
I have had no problem soldering to the connecting strips. Hot iron, and good electronic solder, not stuff from the "Fright".

One of my workmates has been rebuilding packs for a while (he solders).

The ubiquitous 18650 battery (same as they use in Teslas and laptops) can be either very light (not much inside it), or quite heavy.

He reckons that a lot of the packs have an always on minder circuit that's usually the problem.

If I have an older Milwaukee Nicad can I buy a Li-Ion replacement battery and have it work? Will I need a different charger as well?

I own countless cordless tools. When the batteries no longer carry a charger I buy new ones. I am not prepared to rip old ones apart to add new cells and whatnot. I'd rather pay more and get a warranty.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
If I have an older Milwaukee Nicad can I buy a Li-Ion replacement battery and have it work? Will I need a different charger as well?

The Chargers aren't the same. Planned obsalecence. Pawn shops have the old chargers and they are usually pretty cheap.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would be hesitant to solder on an 18650 battery. You don't want a runaway reaction.

That's why I recommended ones with tabs already attached. They are safe to solder on.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would be hesitant to solder on an 18650 battery. You don't want a runaway reaction.

That's why I recommended ones with tabs already attached. They are safe to solder on.

Soldering needs to get the area hot. Its not recommended. If you cannot spot weld, then buy them with tabs attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back