Engine damage from running low on oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

My car is a 2001 Honda Civic HX, 5-speed transmission.

I had my oil changed 6 months ago at a shop and just did it again myself today. Unfortunately, when I drained the oil I noticed there wasn't much in there, and it was very black; I estimate there was no more than 1 1/2-2 quarts in an engine that calls for 3.7.

I realize I messed up bad by not checking my oil levels and topping off accordingly, but I'm wondering what the probability of there being engine damage is, and whether or not there's anything I can do to help. The oil light never came on, and I don't hear any unusual noises. I put my mechanic's stethoscope to each cylinder and they seem fine, and the engine has no blowback. Should I run some seafoam through it? Maybe change the oil again at only 500 miles or so?

I would really appreciate some thoughts and ideas regarding my situation. And yes, never again will I neglect checking my oil levels
33.gif

Quote:

Its fine...go about your daily business.

+1; my friends son did this twice with his 2001 accord and the light even came on. We just dumped more oil in, and away he went.

In your case not recommended obviously, but nothing to stress over.

Last edited:
Tons and tons of people just add oil when the oil light comes on and their cars seem to last for a long time. Lesson learned here - check your oil every couple fill ups at the gas station and keep it topped off.

Quote:

I do not buy used cars.

But you drive a whole stable of them.

A short discussion with the owner and some maintenance records goes a long way.

Last edited:
I like Seafoam and use it occasionally however I don't know why youd use it in this case.

How did the oil look when drained. I know it was black but was it fluid,no chunks and whatnot.
Personally I'd do a couple of short(3000 mile) runs of a known good conventional like PYB then once that's over go back to synthetics for 10000 mile drains.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

I do not buy used cars.

But you drive a whole stable of them.

A short discussion with the owner and some maintenance records goes a long way.

That he knows don't have a history of being neglected.

If the oil light never came on, there was never a loss of oil pressure due to the pickup sucking air, so all is well.
Keep an eye on the oil level every week until you figure out what typical consumption is.
Add a quart as needed when the oil level on the dipstick reaches the lower limit and you're golden.

My ex drove her 88 200sx v6 with like a half qt of oil for an entire summer, didn't seem to mind.

Originally Posted By: llmercll
Should I run some seafoam through it?

No way! Only thing that belongs in an oil pan is oil. Just do an oil change with your favorite oil and carry on :^)

How many miles were on that previous oil change?

So if if the posts here said that the engine is most certainly damaged what would you do? Its a 14 yr old vehicle so change the oil on time and check the oil level once a week or so. Not much else you can or should do?

With a small amount of oil in the sump there are two issues.

1) Oil pump pulling in some air. With a gauge you might see this, but with a light that probably comes on at 5 PSI, you might not se it until really too late.

2) All the contaminants produced by the engine need to be dealt with by a small quantity of oil vs the normal 5 QTs. So the TBN would drop quickly and the PPM of iron, etc would skyrocket.

Donald, I was considering using seafoam or changing the oil again very soon as a way to try and "clean it out". That's really all I could do, I believe, and I wasn't sure if I should or not.

If you didn't hear any weird noises or strange behavior from the engine,imo it's fine. Just go to Walmart,grab a jug of oil and filter,and give your car some love.

Yeah, It's got a full 3.7L of Castrol GTX HM and a new purolator filter so hopefully all is well.

The oil that came out was not sludgy or chucky at all though, it was very smooth and easy flowing. I just did a more accurate measurement though, and unfortunately it looks like only 1.5 quarts are in my gallon jug, not 2.

You got to it just in time. If it didn't make any weird noises or trip the idiot light you're good.

I've heard plenty of stories about Honda 4 cylinder engines surviving this kind of abuse. I even worked with an interesting fellow who tried to purposely kill a Honda Civic engine running it hard and low on oil. He did not succeed.

Lesson learned, seems like luck was with you this time

I bet you'll be checking the oil regularly, and carrying a quart or two with you from now on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: llmercll
Donald, I was considering using seafoam or changing the oil again very soon as a way to try and "clean it out". That's really all I could do, I believe, and I wasn't sure if I should or not.

Forget the additives. Quality oil, and a reasonable OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back